Wireless Internet Connection HELP...
Mar 11, 2006 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SennFan

500+ Head-Fier
I've been having issues with my new laptop losing its wireless connection.

For example, I will turn my computer on and the wireless internet connection strength is 'excellent' and everything is working fine. However, if I leave for about 1/5-2 hours or so and come back the wireless connection is completely gone and I have to restart the machine in order to get it back.

I have tried <wireless icon/right click/repair> in the taskbar, but this doesn't work. I have also tried disabling/enabling the connection (essentially the same thing) with absolutely no luck. Restarting seems to be the only thing that resolves this issue...

Note: I have two computer hooked up through a netgear router. My laptop which this thread is about and a dell desktop connected via ethernet cable that has no problems whatsoever with internet connections.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and what I can do to prevent it? Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated!

Mar 11, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Before doing anything else, have you tried rebooting the netgear router?

Yes, forgot to mention that I did
icon10.gif

Mar 12, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 7
Ok, some suggestions/thoughts:

- Is it possible you are hopping onto someone else's wireless by accident and getting kicked off intermittently?

- Check out the helpful forums at dslreports.com for possible issues specific to your router.

- Flash the firmware of the router and/or wireless card. I recommend doing this only if you don't mind troubleshooting if the new firmware is bad.

- Check out your power profiles. I wonder if your laptop is powering down the wireless card when it's left untouched for a while. In fact, check this first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back