Wire Help
Apr 4, 2013 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DutchGFX

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey, so I bought some 24 awg silver plated wire, and well, it's a bit too thin, and it's not very flexible, despite 19 strands. I think I MIT use it because I have it, but, I really need to get some good wire. I really want flexibility, and like, for example,mthe AKG stock cable is awesome for that. So, if you could help me find some wire, on parts connexion or other sites, that I can use for some cables :D

Apr 5, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #2 of 11
Here is a link for the cable i personally use and this is the same place i order from. Its 4 conductor plus multi strand shield, I normally strip out the 4 wires but have also used it whole its just not vary flexible whole. Guess it would work for balanced headphone cable also. I like using thin clear heat shrink tubing for a sleeve from the ear cup to the Y junction and then tec flex or whole cable since its nice looking and comes in many colors. Oh and the tec flex is no good for portable use because it makes a lot of noise when it drags across clothing.

http://www.performanceaudio.com/item/Mogami-W2893/5603/

Some of the 3.5mm trs connectors have notches that tend to get hung up on some jacks, like the ones used on the O2. Out of the few brands i have tried these from neutrik have been the best and they happen to be the least expensive.

http://www.performanceaudio.com/item/Neutrik-NYS231L/13433/

Cant really get into the topic of copper vs silver but i think a lot would agree to put the money into better gear and then upgrading wires later. Silver coated seems like a good middle ground on price but still hard to justify.

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #3 of 11
The best DIY-friendly starquad cable I've tried so far is the Cardas 4x24. Reasonably flexible (the blue jacket one is a bit stiffer than the grey one) and extremely well-constructed with layers of shield. Tough to find a better constructed cable than the Cardas for headphone usage. Sadly the price has been rising to an unacceptable level (~$20/ft at pcx) lately and no longer made it a first choice for DIY purpose. There are still a couple of places that offer half of PCX is asking, just PM me if you are interested.

The Mogami 2893 is a good choice for budget and sounds quite nice, but absolutely not on the level of the Cardas.

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #4 of 11
I'm actually not looking for a 4 conductor cable, I'm looking for like, hookup wire I guess. I just want single inductor strands, to Litz.

I think the issue is actually the techflex possibly, which may be y its not so flexible. E wire itself doesn't seam stiff at all, it just doesn't like, fall into place in a way most cables do, like, most cables are so liquidy and smooth, get what I mean?

The 26 awg is too thin for my 1/8 techflex, so I was thinking, I could braid 4 conductors, each conductor being 4 wires.

Apr 5, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #7 of 11
You can buy nylon multifilament from a variety of places, usually the same ones where you can buy what you're calling Techflex. In reality Techflex is a brand, not a product, so referring to a single product by that name just causes general confusion. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=nylon+multifilament

Apr 5, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #8 of 11
The point of the 4 or more conductor cable is you are paying by the foot, when you remove the outer casing and shielding you are left with 4 vary flexible multi strand wires. So 80 cents a food for 4 conductor becomes 20 cents a foot per wire.

Once you start to believe the sudo science of cable metallurgy you will loose sight of what matters and that is enjoying the music, without trying to find faults with the equipment but if your just trying to spend money i have some unobtainium solid core xenon gas shielded cable I'd be happy to sell you :wink:

Instead of spending any more on pretty cables I'd buy some VIP tix's to the next big show in town. bring a date or find one when you get there.

edit: I called tecflex by name because it is the brand I'm referring to and yes there are lots of better brands out there selling similar stuff.

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #9 of 11
The point of the 4 or more conductor cable is you are paying by the foot, when you remove the outer casing and shielding you are left with 4 vary flexible multi strand wires. So 80 cents a food for 4 conductor becomes 20 cents a foot per wire.

Once you start to believe the sudo science of cable metallurgy you will loose sight of what matters and that is enjoying the music, without trying to find faults with the equipment but if your just trying to spend money i have some unobtainium solid core xenon gas shielded cable I'd be happy to sell you :wink:

Instead of spending any more on pretty cables I'd buy some VIP tix's to the next big show in town. bring a date or find one when you get there.

edit: I called tecflex by name because it is the brand I'm referring to and yes there are lots of better brands out there selling similar stuff.

The other multifilaments seam to only come in black or white, I would really like a platinum or a pink. If I can't find one tomorrow, I MIT just use the techflex, and maybe redo it after the meet.

P.S. I got 95' for $15 of the 26awg Stranded so I mean, that's pretty damn good haha

Apr 6, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #10 of 11
That is a good price, you can get heat shrink in any color and any length so you could just use that. Don't heat it or it wont flex as much just get the right size to start with. Heat shrink is also nice if you want to put a tight permanent bend in a interconnect.

Is the stranded wire bare or covered?

Apr 6, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #11 of 11
Its covered up. I have heatshink :), I think I will just use some string maybe to add to the girth of the cable so the techflex fits more snug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back