Wire connecting headphone driver broke and needs to be resoldered
Aug 23, 2004 at 8:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

lemonlyman

New Head-Fier
I'm a former lurker and through a friend I got a pair of Beyer DT 531s... unfortunately they smelled like smoke and I tried to get rid of the smoke smell as much as possible. I took apart the headphones, washed the pads, cleaned everything, and then stuck the opened up headphones in a closed bucket with baking soda and a car air freshener thing. It worked pretty well and the smell is much fainter now.

However, I'm clumsy and in handling the headphones, I must have done something causing the wire connecting the driver to the headphone to split. It seems like an easy resoldering job (even for me). The wire is a little shorter now, so I think I'll need a new wire.

My question is... does the kind of wire matter? What's a good kind that minimizes any signal loss? Where can I get it? What about solder? As long as the wire is in contact with the metal, does that matter? I have 63/37 lead/tin solder, but it's from radio shack.

Aug 24, 2004 at 8:48 AM Post #2 of 3
Here's a pic of the thing. I don't know much about these things... but it looks like the white wire must mean one that connects to the actual driver, and the bare copper wire is the ground. I put both the left and right side in the pics.

If it's just the ground... then that means signal loss doesn't really matter right? As long as the connection is there. Can someone verify this?

Aug 24, 2004 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

If it's just the ground... then that means signal loss doesn't really matter right? As long as the connection is there. Can someone verify this?

No, that's not quite right. The fact that one of the two leads is a ground doesn't mean that the cable size is irrelevant. It carries the same current as the white wire. Having said that however, the wire type isn't really too critical. From the photo, you may not even need to add wire. It looks like you could just tin the end of the braid where it broke and solder that to the terminal. If not, a small length of any reasonable gauge stranded wire should be fine.

The solder you have should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back