Wire/conductor questions
Apr 10, 2006 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Zorander

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently bought a run of 4-core microphone cable to make an 0404 breakout cable. But upon stripping the ends, I realised the wires are silver-/aluminium-coloured, not the reddish brown copper I expected. Is this just tinned copper (tinned with what?) or is it just some 'alternative' metal used in place of copper? It's definitely not silver.

Apr 10, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #3 of 15
Tinned with Tin.
icon10.gif
Most likely anyway. Not uncommon in cables.

Apr 10, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #6 of 15
The downside is ofcourse that the electrons at audio frequencies travel across the surface of the conductor, so it's running along the tin
rolleyes.gif
. Mind you try it and see if you can hear a difference.

Apr 10, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #9 of 15
rubydium.
tongue.gif

My best bet would be copper. Possibly it's just solid tin.

Just go and shave/file the wire. If it's got copper in it you'll see it with reddy brown curls or powder or the core will be revealed where you've shaved off the outer layer.

Apr 11, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
The downside is ofcourse that the electrons at audio frequencies travel across the surface of the conductor, so it's running along the tin
rolleyes.gif
. Mind you try it and see if you can hear a difference.

confused.gif

You mean skin-effect? No way - even at 20KHz max penetration depth is ~0.5mm (thicker than the wire), while coating is microns. I bet at least 99% of "audio" power (20-20) goes thru the copper.

Apr 11, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
I completed the breakout cable already, but since I don't have the 0404 with me right now, there is no way to test it. I'm still unsure whether I have copper in there or some other metal at this stage. What other metals can possibly be used in this case? Tin?
smily_headphones1.gif

copper alloy? i also found that my AWG28s has no brownish copper color to it even at the core. and thus searched the web and found that it's using Tinned Annealed Copper Alloy.
it looks perfectly silvery, without any brownish signature.

Apr 11, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by thedoctor
copper alloy? i also found that my AWG28s has no brownish copper color to it even at the core. and thus searched the web and found that it's using Tinned Annealed Copper Alloy.
it looks perfectly silvery, without any brownish signature.

This is what I suspect. Any info on how it performs for audio duties?

Apr 11, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
This is what I suspect. Any info on how it performs for audio duties?

have no idea. i'm not exactly into 'wire sound'. at least i could safely say i'm not a wire fetish.
580smile.gif

but the datasheet did said it's recomended for audio usage. mine is an AWG28 multicored with teflon sleeving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back