Winston-Salem / Triad meet (April 20th, 2013) Impressions
Apr 30, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #32 of 38
I see my HD800 setup getting a little photo love there 
smily_headphones1.gif
  I really should have dusted my gear off first.

Apr 30, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #33 of 38
This was my first rodeo with Headfi. Met a lot of nice people that were very helpful. Nice job, Rastadolphin. Great location. We certainly had a wide demographic of folks in attendance. Wide range of equipment, too. Loved the Stax. The Burson Soloist was a first rate unit, and an exceptional value.  The AKG K1000s were easily the most coveted "earspeakers" there. Here are some pics.

May 1, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #35 of 38

More pics from a great little event. the Burson Soloist SL @ $600 compared very well to my $4000+ TAD vacuum tube HA. Presentation was very similar. Very natural sound. I still think that solid state devices have a more sterile sound compared to tubes. Trigonometric rise in price, though. Tom at TAD is planning a new project using a tube for gain, and an opamp for the output. Would still use vacuum tube rectification for the gain tube. Should be much lower cost. If I can get my hands on this device, I will bring it to another meet. TAD works really well with LCD-3 and HD-800.

May 6, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #37 of 38
Sorry I didn't mention Scott Nixon as far as equipment is concerned. Scott even showed up for the event. The two small boxes to the left of my TAD HA are Scott's USB TubeDac. One box holds the DAC and the other is the power supply (optional version). The tube is a 12BH7. You can find excellent examples of this tube for very little money. Sounds every bit as good as the 6DJ8 Scott used in an earlier versions.  A really dynamite unit. I use this one in my big home system as well. Not quite analog quality, but mighty close. Scott can be found at scott-nixon.com. He is working on the site currently, but you can see the old site and get Scott's contact info. One of the best deals in audio. Put this thing in a fancy box, and expect to pay 2-3 times the amount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back