Windows 10 vs 11
Jan 18, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #16 of 21
I'll do my best to explain how the sound changed: toggle "mono" mode in Windows while playing a track...the music loses a sense of depth, dynamics and space. The change I was hearing was similar to that (not 100% mono, but moving in that direction). For a given volume, I was also missing a sense of impact and detail; the notes were all there, but the original sound was more visceral, and whatever hardware/software issue I was having muted this. I verified that all of the Windows sound settings were identical (at first I even thought I had "mono" mode on accidentally, but that wasn't it).
I guess, you are using system mixer and have 3-D sound/effects enabled. Get Foobar 2000 and use WASAPI exclusive (or ASIO) output. Bypassing system mixer.

Jan 18, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #17 of 21
I guess, you are using system mixer and have 3-D sound/effects enabled. Get Foobar 2000 and use WASAPI exclusive (or ASIO) output. Bypassing system mixer.
Thanks, it's entirely possible that some piece of software that I've installed over the years for audio and video editing was doing something unexpected; I couldn't track it down, but I will definitely give this a try next time around!

Jan 19, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #19 of 21
Jan 20, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #20 of 21
My admins applied a mandatory update from Win10 to Win11 on our working laptops. And suddenly I noticed some strange sound changes. I use mostly Spotify Premium and Schiit Modi/Magni stack. I don't know really if it's a real change or Xmas fever. Anybody freel the same?
Every OS has its own sound....

My experience is Windows Server 2022 is the best out of Windows 10 and 11. I am currently using 11 which I made from ntlite removing a lot of useless stuff. It is a good safe ISO. Removed approx half the size and noticeable lower ram usage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back