will I notice the Class A difference with SDS amp?
Jun 7, 2003 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

KTpG

100+ Head-Fier
Does it have the characteristic "Class A" sound? I mean, I don't know what that sound is, but will it be an improvement over my META42 clone with OPA2132 and BUF634? I spent an hour or so gathering parts for SDS and came up with these:

Vishay/Dale 1/4W and 2W resistors
Panasonic FC electrolytics (plus Nippon Chemi-con and Sprague Powerlytic BIG caps)
Burr-Brown regulators
schottky 60V, 5A rectifier diodes
Panasonic EVJ pot w/ input resistor
Sprague Orange Drop .47uF input cap (and cap that goes from opamp to p-channel MOSFET)
silver mica feedback cap
Fairchild MOSFETs
OPA627 opamp
Neutrik 1/4" output jack
gold plated RCA (from Mouser- forget which)

Will this be better than my current amp- much better? Also, when choosing heat sinks, do I want a high or low thermal resistance?

I like my current amp, just think I may be missing somethign, and want to see, err, hear this. This is to be done on a budget, which is why an Alps Blue was not on there. Total parts cost is about $60 now, which is more than I wanted to spend, but ok. Hmm, thought.... is this GUARANTEED to work? In case I cannot get anything from it... I shall be sad.
frown.gif
Sound is a requirement.... Thanks all.

Jun 7, 2003 at 12:50 PM Post #2 of 2
Hey,

There isn't Class-A sound. You can drive anything at Class-A even opamps.

SDS amp is different in the fact that output stage is discrete. I found discrete Class-A stages like the one in SDS amp to sound warmer.

Mr. Sheldon refers to it as "liquid." My experience with similar amp agrees with that.

Note, euphonics is much like Matrix. One cannot clearly describe what it is. One must see / hear it for himself / herself.

Tomo

P.S. If you build Discrete Class-A stage with Bipolar Junction Transistor, it probably will sound different as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back