Will 47 ohm Headphones be okay with an ipod?
Oct 29, 2014 at 7:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Minty649

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, so i am looking into buying new headphones and i came across a pair that i really like. But i am open to suggestions to others around the same price.

Audio Technica ATH M30x:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HVLUQW8/ref=s9_simh_gw_p267_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0XCZX66ZYT5BT1ZHTA60&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455333147&pf_rd_i=468294

They have a 47 ohm impedance, so i was just wondering will these be okay with an ipod?

Thanks

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #2 of 14
More to the point , these have 96dB sensitivity - generally portable headphones are 105 or above, these are designed more for studio or home-based applications. If all your music is compressed and loud then you might get away with it, but you'll be wishing for more headroom I reckon.

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #3 of 14
  More to the point , these have 96dB sensitivity - generally portable headphones are 105 or above, these are designed more for studio or home-based applications. If all your music is compressed and loud then you might get away with it, but you'll be wishing for more headroom I reckon.

Then would these be better?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-Closed-Back-Over-Ear-Headphones-Dynamic-Black/dp/B005N8W1MO/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1414600324&sr=1-4&keywords=sennheiser+hd429.

I listen to mostly rock/punk if it matters lol

Oct 29, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #4 of 14

Okay thanks, what about the sennheiser HD419? i tried to link them but wasnt allowed for some reason.

Oct 30, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #5 of 14
In terms of impedance and sensitivity the HD419/HD429 is a much better proposition (the HD429 has more bass) - or the HD439 for a bit more cash, with a shorter cable option.

They might be a bit of a lump to carry around though, perhaps you might look at portables such as the SoundMAGIC P30 or cheaper P21.

Oct 30, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #6 of 14
or even better, the AKG K450. These are incredibly small, so if you have a large head they might not fit (I mean, a really big head). Grab the iPhone compatible version here for a shocking price! http://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-High-Performance-Foldable-Headset-In-Line/dp/B005LBQ7BY/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1414667067&sr=1-3&keywords=k450

I've had them, and I too listen to rock. They have wonderful mids and punchy lows, although they are not the most refined. Highs are a tad shrill, but it might be my oversensitiveness speaking. Separation is acceptable, soundstage is narrow but sound isn't in your face. Just about right, but don't expect wonders from headphones that small. Isolation is mediocre at best, leakage is very good (meaning there's almost no leakage). Can be easily driven from a normal phone, and can get very loud if necessary. Comfort is excellent for 3 hours, after that the on-ear design starts to be noticed and you can fell a tad of discomfort. You can't go wrong with them for 100 pounds, so for 50 these are a complete steal. 

What is your budget? maybe there are other options

Oct 30, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #7 of 14
  or even better, the AKG K450. These are incredibly small, so if you have a large head they might not fit (I mean, a really big head). Grab the iPhone compatible version here for a shocking price! http://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-High-Performance-Foldable-Headset-In-Line/dp/B005LBQ7BY/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1414667067&sr=1-3&keywords=k450

I've had them, and I too listen to rock. They have wonderful mids and punchy lows, although they are not the most refined. Highs are a tad shrill, but it might be my oversensitiveness speaking. Separation is acceptable, soundstage is narrow but sound isn't in your face. Just about right, but don't expect wonders from headphones that small. Isolation is mediocre at best, leakage is very good (meaning there's almost no leakage). Can be easily driven from a normal phone, and can get very loud if necessary. Comfort is excellent for 3 hours, after that the on-ear design starts to be noticed and you can fell a tad of discomfort. You can't go wrong with them for 100 pounds, so for 50 these are a complete steal. 

What is your budget? maybe there are other options

Ill take a look at them, my budget is around £50

Oct 30, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #8 of 14
  In terms of impedance and sensitivity the HD419/HD429 is a much better proposition (the HD429 has more bass) - or the HD439 for a bit more cash, with a shorter cable option.

They might be a bit of a lump to carry around though, perhaps you might look at portables such as the SoundMAGIC P30 or cheaper P21.

Im not looking for them to be portable, just for use around the house, so i dont mind 

Nov 1, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #13 of 14
I had the 439s.

Make sure you break them in, the bass fills in quite a bit over time. Didn't take that long if I remember correctly. They have pretty dark highs and the upper mids are a bit forward, and there's some spike in the mid-treble somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back