Width of Neutrik mini plug?
Sep 20, 2006 at 2:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

werdwerdus

500+ Head-Fier
What's the width of the Neutrik mini plug, or better question what width of heatshrink tubing would be right for that plug with some Canare Star Quad? I want the heatshrink to go over most of the plug. I was guessing 3/8 inch sinch the cable itself is almost 1/4 inch. Thanks, sorry if this is a really noob question.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by werdwerdus
What's the width of the Neutrik mini plug, or better question what width of heatshrink tubing would be right for that plug with some Canare Star Quad? I want the heatshrink to go over most of the plug. I was guessing 3/8 inch sinch the cable itself is almost 1/4 inch. Thanks, sorry if this is a really noob question.
smily_headphones1.gif

errr in metric the measurement of shrink tube that goes over Neutrik minis are 0.8 mm
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for the reply... but I seriously doubt you meant 0.8 mm since that is... well, less than a millimeter. Maybe you meant 0.8 cm?
I checked out 8 mm and that's about 0.31 inches, which is about the same as 5/16 inch.

Sep 20, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 12
I think I used 3/8" over mine. The thing about heatshrink is that you can stretch it out and it will still shrink to the same size it would normally.

to stretch it just, put it around some needle nose pliers and open them up a few times.

I'm almost positive you won't be able to use that plug with starquad cables... it's too narrow.

Sep 20, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 12
Dang. Looks like I'm going to have to get these Switchcrafts for the Star Quad. So much for cheap plugs, lol.

Sep 20, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #6 of 12
Would the Canare Miniature Star Quad fit in those Nuetrik plugs? I'm thinking that it should, it's only 0.189 inches diameter.

Sep 20, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by werdwerdus
Thanks for the reply... but I seriously doubt you meant 0.8 mm since that is... well, less than a millimeter. Maybe you meant 0.8 cm?
I checked out 8 mm and that's about 0.31 inches, which is about the same as 5/16 inch.

My BAD! yep it should be 0.8CM
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Would the Canare Miniature Star Quad fit in those Nuetrik plugs?

Yes and no.
You can get the cable through the hole but it is a very tight fit and it will leave scratches on the cable.
It takes all of two seconds with a drill to solve that little problem though.

Of course you can always remove the jacket from the cable and replace it with flexo.
wink.gif

Sep 21, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #9 of 12
Well I ordered those Neutrik mini plugs and Canare Miniature Star Quad cable, 4 feet each of green, orange, and black; and an extra foot of green to make a splitter for the headphone amp also. I'm using the cable for the interconnects between my sound card and 5.1 computer speakers, so I decided to color code
tongue.gif
. If the Mini Star Quad doesn't fit good enough, I'll just strip the jacket on the part that goes into the plug and heatshrink it. Should come out the same as if the cable went into the plug and heatshrinked over it anyways. Thanks to all!
cool.gif

Sep 21, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #10 of 12
To answer your original question, the plug is 3/8". Sorry, just saw this thread. And please, tell me how the deal goes through with that site. It looks a little shady to me (as in not the best service). I need one of those XLRF to mini adapters too.

Sep 21, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #11 of 12
So far I'm NOT happy with their service. Placed one order on Sept. 5, and today is Sept. 20 and I have not recieved the order yet! It may have had something on backorder though, I'm not sure. But I phoned them up over a week ago and they told me it shipped, but a couple days later they called ME and told me they had a glitch. They didn't even know if my order shipped or not... Argh, but their prices seemed better especially shipping so I tried again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back