Wich portable amp to choose?
Jun 22, 2008 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

RuiCanela

100+ Head-Fier
Help me please! I own Penguin Caffeine Amp and I want to upgrade my portable amplification. I need to choose from this list or some other sugestion.

HeadRoom Total BitHead HeadRoom Total BitHead @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears
CORDA 2MOVE Meier-Audio
MiniBox-E+ headamp Head-Direct.com
C&C Box V2 headb.com: C&C Box v2 portable headphone amplifier
Pratical Devices XM5 or XM5 Practical Devices Corporation
iBasso D2 Boa iBasso
Headstage Lyrix Pro USB Headstage.eu - Headstage Lyrix Pro USB

The most important factor is sound quality, the usb dac is not important, witch one do you think it will be the best choice?
Help me please.
Rui

Jun 22, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 12
i can say this much remove the headstage& c&c box , for me list would be minibox-E+ or CORDA 2MOVE or IBASSO Boa list isnt in any order, i personaly own a minibox E and love it the E+ is supposed to be a little better any of those 3 i dont think you can go wrong

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by MilkyWay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From your list I would say that the 2Move sounds the best to me but you should probably consider the mini^3 which is a very good amp for the price and sounds almost as good as the 2Move.

Do you own the 2MOVE? this amp is the one that probably it will be my choise, the only consern is the lack of bass bost (witch is very usefull in my Penguin Amp). Do you think I don't need that?

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 12
Hmmm. wouldnt the bass boost makes the bass terribly bloated?

Anyway, you cant go wrong with either the Boa or 2 MOVE.

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by warsurferX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm. wouldnt the bass boost makes the bass terribly bloated?

I thought the same, but it's not like that, only is bad in good quality recordings/mp3 conversions, it tend to be excesive!
With my home setup Heed Canamp/K 701 I don't miss the bass bost, because its not need!
Ok thanks for the opinion! I think I will go for the 2MOVE.
iBasso has a switch on the back, don't you think it should be an other kind of switch? Wen you put the amplifier on you pocket you can turn on the swicht without kowning it! Don't you think so?

Rui

Jun 22, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 12
On the iBasso, the volume dial also functions as an on/off switch - turn the volume all the way down, it will click into the Off position, so it's not easy to accidentally turn it on.

I've heard the iBasso D2 a few times, and it's an impressive, fun little amp, but not the most neutral that I've heard as it already provides a little kick at the lower end. I think the D2 is very good value for money.

I used to own the Total Bithead, but the placement of the In/Out jacks were too inconvenient to use with most iPod line out docks.

If you don't need a DAC, you can save a few bucks by picking the XM4 over the XM5, but I haven't heard either.

Jun 22, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #9 of 12
trickywombat I see that you have iQube and iBasso D1 are they very diferent in Sound Quality? Is iQube much better tham iBasso? By the way the swicth that I was refering was the one on the back of iBasso amp.

Jun 22, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #10 of 12
The switch on the back of the iBasso is a charge switch, and shouldn't do anything unless the usb is connected, which wouldn't be in your pocket, so it's not an issue.

Jun 22, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #11 of 12
Tricky u got the i_qube out the packaging and fired her up yet??
is truly an awesome lil amp!!
well kinda big as far as prtable goes!!
Been using mine mostly at home and is very natural sounding and handles everything i throw at it well!!
Is lil more expensive than some other amps but sounds great and looks so good even my wife liked look of it lol
Just cant tell her how much it costs lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back