Wich DIY project build...
Apr 21, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by peppe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can view the datasheet here:
http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1455Q2202.pdf

Described on Mouser as '8.66L x 4.74W x 2.03H Clear' (Inches)
1455Q2202 Hammond Enclosures, Boxes, & Cases

I don't recall names for international vendors. Farnell?

uhm, i don't know if this case is so nice for me or is better buy only the pieces from glassjar.
What do you think??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billyk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just finished a CK2III, it sounds very good. It sounds to me as good as the CTH with an expensive tube in it. I am going to use the Hammond case for mine, I think it will be about as small a case as can be used. It was a fun, easy build, I really enjoyed making it.

Do you mean that is have a warm sound??
smile_phones.gif

I'd like to see better the Hammond case...

Apr 21, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by peppe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can view the datasheet here:
http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1455Q2202.pdf

Described on Mouser as '8.66L x 4.74W x 2.03H Clear' (Inches)
1455Q2202 Hammond Enclosures, Boxes, & Cases

I don't recall names for international vendors. Farnell?

uhm, i don't know if this case is so nice for me or is better buy only the pieces from glassjar and take another box somewhere like ebay
frown.gif

What do you think??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billyk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just finished a CK2III, it sounds very good. It sounds to me as good as the CTH with an expensive tube in it. I am going to use the Hammond case for mine, I think it will be about as small a case as can be used. It was a fun, easy build, I really enjoyed making it.

Do you mean that is have a warm sound??
smile_phones.gif

I'd like to see better the Hammond case...

Apr 22, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #33 of 40
You asked for the smallest case that will fit this project.

AMB designed the PCB to fit the width of the Hammond exactly and allow enough room front/back to fit the transformer in the case.

If the transformer is moved out of the case you can fit the PCB in the next Hammond down: 1455Q1602 (6.3L x 4.74W x 2.03H Clear ).

There are many other cases that could be used. Have you looked through the gallery on the CK2III site? The Cavalli-Kan Kumisa III Stereo Headphone Amplifier. Most of those cases should still be available (at least one company went out of business).

There is an Italian company that has cases that come up in bigger builds often. The 'Galaxy' is used often, but would be rather big for the CK2III alone. Don't know if they have nice smaller cases. Hi-Fi 2000 contenitori per l'elettronica, case modding HTPC, Galaxy, rack, DIYaudio, computer cases, knobs,milled Handles, milled fronts, hi-end,

May 11, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #34 of 40
I'm back...with a big doubt
deadhorse.gif
:
I really need a CKK2III or instead build another Cavalli project with tubes?
So the question is:
wich Cavalli I can afford at the same price with tubes? (small size preferred and witth psu included)
blink.gif

CTH? SOHA? Bijou??

I know only the names of this amps but not their qualities or prices
frown.gif
neither where to buy the kits...
I suppose that glassjar have also the other Cavalli kits, right??

May 11, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #35 of 40
Well, you should rule out the Bijou, it's out of your price range, but a factor of 2 at least.  The CTH can be built for about $150US.  I've built a couple of them and they sound very nice with my HD580 and K601's.

The CTH uses a "wallwart" to get 24V into the box and then the rest of the power supply components are on board.  It's more complicated than the CKK2III, and would be harder to troubleshoot, due to it's compact (and crowded nature) size.    I really like mine, but I would have to say that if you are less experienced, the CKK2III might be a better bet.   I've also built the SOHA, but unless you add on the JISBOS buffers, its sound quality has been surpassed by the CTH.  

Another option might be the SOHAII, which is a much improved version of the SOHA, but you're probably looking at more like $250 to build it.

May 12, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #37 of 40
You can build the CTH for under $200 and it sounds great!  Although the parts are a tight squeeze on the small board there is no setup required besides soldering and connecting.  The SOHA II has some adjustment of pots and you're dealing with significantly higher voltage.  The result sounds more defined and powerful than the CTH but it is not a huge difference.

My first project after building a CMOY was the CTH and it was very straight forward.  You just need to pay careful attention to getting the right part in the right place and practice your soldering to get neat joints and no solder bridges.  And like I said, the CTH sounds great!

May 12, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #38 of 40
While its good to hear the positive thoughts WRT the CTH, I'd lean toward the CK2III based on what I see in this thread.  Esp. if netsky3 wants to build & can get a full kit from GlassJarAudio. 
CK2III has about 1/3 less parts on a bit bigger PCB than CTH and since there are no CTH kits it could mean a few parts orders for netsky3. And a few CTH parts are getting harder to source.

In fact, having seen a large amount of good things said about CK2III around here I'll be building one myself:)

So, maybe bring things back to here:
Quote:
netsky3 said:

I think that the CK2III is a good choice, not too expensive and perfect for my AKG
smily_headphones1.gif

I could buy the kit from glassjar (the audio parts especially) and all the rest in the shops here in my town (psu, case and other similar stuff) and build it with calm buying some pieces when are necessaries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back