wi-fi router recommendation
Aug 12, 2012 at 11:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

fzman

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all.  I've got an old dir-655 that works reasonably well, but i would loke better performance, and more range.  it lives in my basement, and does not give me good coverage in the back yard (small-ish house and small lot).

I do not know if i have any 5 GHz devices, so it needs to have really good 2.4 range and throughput.  The wi-fi is only for laptops, tablet, cell etc.  my main desktop, and the roku/tivo/streaming stuff is already on gigabit ethernet.   I have read many reviews of  Linksys, Netgear, and d-link stuff, and am perhaps more confused than when i started.  

Any recommendations of specific routers would be helpful - as always, first hand experience is best - what do you guys use- what works really well?  

thanks in advance - forgive the lousy typing...

Aug 19, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #2 of 7
i presently have a netgear wndr4500 which is quite good but some clear flaws (What netgear!!!! no jumbo packet support!!!!!!) on the whole its pretty good though.   however if i was you buying right now id be looking to get one of the 802.11ac capable routers.  mostly id say look to smallnetbuilders for the place for reviews.  however mostly id say pick whatever brand you have used and are happy with.  setting the things up just so is often half the battle.

if its just to get additional range why not get a range extender or run another access point?

Aug 19, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #3 of 7
I've had the Cisco EA4500 for a few months now, and it's great.  Fast and excellent range, covers basement and 2 floors of my house with no problem.  Use it for iphone and ipad as well.

Upgraded to this from a Belkin N300 - wow what a difference it made. Couldn't be happier with this thing.

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks to both of you for responding.  I bought an Asus N56U, and so far, so good.  I have gained the 5G band which has its uses, and it looks like it can be ipv6 compatible with a firmware upgrade...  now how to figure out how to get an docsis 3.0 modem/telephone to use with my comcast account, without having to pay for one of their 'installers' to come out to connect 3 wires to it...... ($50 not well spent!!!!)

i reconfigured my Zyxel WAP3205 as a repeater, and found a great spot for it so i have wi-fi on my back porch - a former dead-zone!

Happy Happy...

Sep 20, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 7
Check out the RTN66U... you won't be disappointed :wink:

Sep 28, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
I've had the Cisco EA4500 for a few months now, and it's great.  Fast and excellent range, covers basement and 2 floors of my house with no problem.  Use it for iphone and ipad as well.

Upgraded to this from a Belkin N300 - wow what a difference it made. Couldn't be happier with this thing.

1+ on the EA4500. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back