Why use foobar?
Nov 2, 2004 at 1:23 PM Post #46 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by patricklang
I noticed a difference between winamp/directx and foobar/asio on a revolution. The directx/kmixer path's bit munging screws the highs the most noticably.

Everybody keeps saying that, but it just doesn't jive with what I've experienced. Admittedly this hasn't been something I've been looking for specifically and my original post just served to reinforced what Johnny K was saying, namely that if you don't hear a difference, you weren't supposed to be hearing one in the first place, at least according to the developers.

Nov 2, 2004 at 9:50 PM Post #47 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny K
I've been debating a switch to Foobar, but I don't know. Winamp has a lot of things I like lately. It's way more aesthetic, for one (transparency, yay!).

Foobar2000 can be transparent too, go to Preferences -> Display -> Default User Interface -> Transparency

Quote:

And the media library is great. I've got all my songs sorted, easily searched, etc (just hit "J" and type the name to search instantly).

Foobar2000 also has a similar feature, called the Database. I personaly don't like "media library"-type features so I never use it (though my media files are very well organized on my hard drive, so I don't really have a need for one). FB2K also features the "search" dialog. You can access it by going to Playlist -> Search or by binding it to a key (as a former Winamp user I use the J key).

Quote:

And when I play a song, Winamp will load information about that song and artist off the internet and display it in the media library window. Lots of sweet little things. And I also enjoy watching Visualizations at times.

Foobar doesn't do either of those, though it's flexible enough that anyone could write components to do that.

Nov 2, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #48 of 51
foobar vs. winamp is kind of like PC vs. Mac, correspondingly.
tongue.gif

Nov 4, 2004 at 2:12 AM Post #51 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
Foobar is customizable to no end and cheaper, while Winamp just works and looks pretty?

Lol, nice one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back