Why no high end portable amp with an EQ?
Dec 30, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #46 of 51
I saw a couple amps on Ebay that have a 5 band eq.

LILO III Deluxe DAC USB Sound Card Headphone Amplifier - eBay (item 370136651674 end time Jan-04-09 00:53:50 PST)

LILO III Classic DAC USB Sound Card Headphone Amplifier - eBay (item 190276873706 end time Jan-05-09 02:44:45 PST)

These look to be new, (I hadn't seen them before), and haven't seen any reviews yet.
FWIW, I've found the iPod EQ presets to be pretty good, less ham-handed than most, but I use "off' or "flat" as my setting most of the time.

Dec 30, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #47 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw a couple amps on Ebay that have a 5 band eq.

LILO III Deluxe DAC USB Sound Card Headphone Amplifier - eBay (item 370136651674 end time Jan-04-09 00:53:50 PST)

LILO III Classic DAC USB Sound Card Headphone Amplifier - eBay (item 190276873706 end time Jan-05-09 02:44:45 PST)

These look to be new, (I hadn't seen them before), and haven't seen any reviews yet.
FWIW, I've found the iPod EQ presets to be pretty good, less ham-handed than most, but I use "off' or "flat" as my setting most of the time.

These look interesting but are they portable? I see no mention of an internal battery.

Dec 30, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #48 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These look interesting but are they portable? I see no mention of an internal battery.

Good catch. Oopsie on my part.

Dec 30, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #49 of 51
Is it better to EQ in digital before converting to analog? I know using any sort of tone control introduces a lot of harmonic distortion, but read somewhere that if it's done digitally, the THD increase is nil.

Dec 30, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #50 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatguyoverthere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I detest EQ not just because I'm a purist, but also because I'm obsessive compulsive and would spend more time focusing on the EQ than the music.

That turned out to be certainly true for me. I hooked up an old Realistic EQ to my home headphone amp in pursuit of amp experimentation. Dang, I can't keep my mitts off those EQ sliders now.

Dec 31, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #51 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's skirting the truth. I don't know of any truly portable amp which has both analog and digital inputs in a single unit other than the Total Bithead - and there is no room at all whatsoever in that amp for any EQ circuitry. A truly portable amp with sufficient power output and voltage swing to drive moderately inefficient headphones is entirely analog (with no digital input capability). Headroom sells a separate DAC for its normally all-analog Micro amp - but then, you'd have to juggle two pieces instead of just one in order to use the combo. And the Headroom Portable Desktop is more transportable than portable due to its size and weight (but includes both analog and digital inputs).

I was referring to the difference between EQing on the DAP(digital domain), then amping, as opposed to playing a DAP flat and then EQing on the amp(that possibly had an EQ on it).

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back