Why no Headroom tube amps?
Feb 25, 2009 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Huuvola

New Head-Fier
I was just wondering why Headroom does not offer their very own headphone tube amplifier (I'm a noob when it comes to all this amplifier stuff). Perhaps tube amps are ultimately inferior to solid state? I somehow doubt such a blanket statement is true. Reading posts, it seems like a preference sort of thing.
And I just love the idea of vacuum tubes emitting their glow in low-light listening sessions!

Do you guys have a plan in the works for a tube amp in the near future? It would be extremely hard to resist coupled with an inboard DAC and digital input flexibility, not to mention the wonderful crossfeed!

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 6
They did have a tube amp offering, i.e., the HeadRoom Millett Desktop Hybrid Amp. However, it was discontinued, the explanation being covered in this thread.

As to not having a full tube amp, there are so many on the offering out there. It may well not be in their business interest to offer yet another one while trying to enter an already well established tubeamp market.

Feb 25, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Huuvola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just wondering why Headroom does not offer their very own headphone tube amplifier...Do you guys have a plan in the works for a tube amp in the near future? It would be extremely hard to resist coupled with an inboard DAC and digital input flexibility, not to mention the wonderful crossfeed!

Hello Huuvola,

Well, as an LP freak, i too love me a good vacuum tube!
tongue_smile.gif

... After discontinuing the HeadRoom Millett 'Hybrid' Amp (it utilized a solid state output stage), we were hoping to develop a true full-on tube heaphone amp based on lovely OTL designs... Frankly, that may be a bit of a ways off now given the economy and all ...
confused_face_2.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #5 of 6
Actually, as a tube guy with my EMP, I have always looked to Headroom as a potential step towards high high end SS amplification. Tubes are sweet but I hate being beholden to the NOS tube hoarders. Unless and until really great new tubes return to manufacture, SS makes a lot of sense. Headroom does that genre very well (which is why I am salivating over the pending Headroom SS Sabre Max DAC as my next big plunge).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back