Why does it cost so much?
May 23, 2002 at 12:55 PM Post #17 of 21
I've had a look round my emails and things but can't find a trace of it.

It's definitely available as I was thinking of ordering one from the US early last year.

Someone give Audio Advancements a call.

--Jatinder

May 23, 2002 at 3:23 PM Post #18 of 21
Have recently made some internet searches on Earmax and not found any super model, could be a guy who modifies existing models.
Seems like I can buy the EMP for $500 in Germany, so this could be a steal!
Just now I am much more satisfied with my Maxed out Home and HD600/Red Clou. I rewired my tonearm with Cardas cable and also bought a very neutral interconnect (used). After a basic burn-in it sounded great on both speakers and headphones. After about 50 hours the treble sounded etchy on the headphones and I suspected that the HD600 was not adequate at this level or resolution, or something wrong with MOH or the Clou treble that was reviewed as splashy.
I stopped using the headphones but after 70+ hours I heard a change in character on my speakers. Time to test the headphones again and most of the etch had disapperad. It seems like the resolution increased at 50 hours but first at a price of harshness.
It also seems like the crossfeed becomes less useful with increased resolution.
I was conscious of the burn-in process and obviously fooled myself, not expecting that it could sound worse in some phase.

May 23, 2002 at 4:02 PM Post #19 of 21
Nope - it was definitely a special put together by the manufacturers of the EarMax. It was (and is still) not listed as a product by the normal EMP retailers.

I heard from Hart at Audio Advancements, that such a beast existed, and was all set to order one but chickened out.

--Jatinder

May 23, 2002 at 5:10 PM Post #20 of 21
hey check it out, that walrus place has a used cary sei for sale!
looks like good condition for me.. for 1695 GBP anyway. (that's euro's right?) if it IS euro, it's $1565 in us funds.. maybe if i sell my sugden and my zotl..

cary.jpg

May 23, 2002 at 5:28 PM Post #21 of 21
Sorry grinch, it is British pounds so you have to add nearly 50%. If the price is with VAT you can deduct roughly 15% if it is going to US.
This is the Euro sign (don't know if it will display here): €

Some EU countries still keep their own currency: UK, Sweden, Denmark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back