Why do you need a high-end Amp?
Jun 4, 2021 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MonkeyDance

New Head-Fier
I am powering a pair of Wilson Audio Sabrinas in my office with an Anthem MDX-16. I don't trust people that sell audio gear BUT every single one of them says that this setup is bad. Can someone explain to me why? I use my computer with Apple Music as a source and the new Sonos Port. I can't tell that it is bad but I wonder if it is because I've been told multiple times that the setup is bad (though not by anyone that has heard it).

I have been told I should sell the Sabrinas for something cheaper if I don't want to buy a new amp.

I am not an audiophile (obviously) but if I am really missing out I want to know. I am not going to buy a $10k amp but I would consider something $3k-$5k if it would make a serious difference.

Jun 5, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #3 of 9
You don't need a 'high-end' amp if you mean by price. Price isn't an indicator of quality. Make sure to be able compare several by demo than blindly buying something based on price or hype. Your ear is the best indicator of what you want. Smarter people are not easily swayed by stuff that should not matter, fake reviews or con artists.

Being level headed helps a lot. I have no need to show off gear of what I paid for, or do I care for something that is 'high-end' for the sake of being 'high-end.' It's simply a matter of something being worth it or not.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #4 of 9
+1 on experimentation, without it, you will not know for sure if YOU can tell the difference. In theory, an external amplifier is there to provide voltage/current for a power hungry headphone, that cannot be driven directly from the source (be it a DAC with headphone out, your phone/laptop, whatnot). Now, some amplifiers add their own sonic characteristics, that could be preferable by your ears, so even if you do not need it on paper, you will like what you hear.

Jun 6, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #5 of 9
Just because it's expensive. Or high end. Doesn't necessarily mean it will work better for your situation. It is like that with many things ; be it wine, cars, road bikes, photography etc...

It also depends on whether you are happy with what you've got.

Warren Buffet drove a Cadillac for years. It did the job. Go for a test drive. Dependent on the headphone but a good amp will generally improve soundstage, dynamics and depending on the type (e.g. SS ; Class A v A/B ; Tubes) may also alter the tonality.

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #6 of 9
It all depends on what your definition of high end is. If you mean high fidelity, i.e. high SQ performance the answer is yes, superior amps can make a sonic difference. If it also will be worth the extra cost, only you can answer. High-end audio is not known for its high value rate.

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #7 of 9
I can't tell that it is bad but I wonder if it is because I've been told multiple times that the setup is bad (though not by anyone that has heard it).
You seem to enjoy it so I don't think you should listen to people who are telling you that it's bad let alone people who have not heard it. They might've heard better but that doesn't mean this is bad.
I have been told I should sell the Sabrinas for something cheaper if I don't want to buy a new amp.
If you're already enjoying what you are using it makes little sense to sell it for lesser speaker. This speaker will probably have a higher ceiling for improve with better and more expensive amplification. Talking in terms of headphones, I've own and used a setup for years that many considered bad and outright unusable and was told I should downgrade to a lesser driver so it suit my current chain but not once did I find the lesser driver more enjoyable than my so called bad setup. Stick with what you enjoy.
I am not an audiophile (obviously) but if I am really missing out I want to know.
Re amplification and sources there are loads to choose from between the 3-5k mark. It is worth experimenting if you have the time to research if not don't worry about it. You don't have to reach the ceiling of potential for all the gear you own especially if you are already enjoying. Most Porsche owners aren't F1 drivers.

Jun 6, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #8 of 9
I am powering a pair of Wilson Audio Sabrinas in my office with an Anthem MDX-16. I don't trust people that sell audio gear BUT every single one of them says that this setup is bad. Can someone explain to me why? I use my computer with Apple Music as a source and the new Sonos Port. I can't tell that it is bad but I wonder if it is because I've been told multiple times that the setup is bad (though not by anyone that has heard it).

I am not an audiophile (obviously) but if I am really missing out I want to know. I am not going to buy a $10k amp but I would consider something $3k-$5k if it would make a serious difference.
You have $15,900 speakers with a $3000 16 multi zone amp. Wilson make some of the best speakers in the world and demand equal quality amps paired with them. The amp is definetley not gonna bring out the full potential of your speakers. You definetley want to be looking at dedicated 2 channel amps with a good 4 ohm rating as these speakers dip down to 2.53 ohms. Amps make a MASSIVE difference so get in contact with your local audio dealers and arrange some demos/home demos cause it will take your 2 channel experience to a whole different level.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #9 of 9
My experience is mostly from speaker systems, but, similarities are many.

Some cans and speakers are difficult loads - total watts needed to energize the speakers. If the load of the speakers is difficult that has to be figured in. Then there is the "notch" sound class AB amps vs class A (or sliding class A). I haven't had a non class A amp for over 30+ years. If you are talking a Susvara or a Stax 007 - then you are spending some good money. A Rag (v1 or v2) is probably the least amp to drive the Susvara or the Raal.

It will cost a certain amount - and that isn't likely some Drop 1 tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back