Whoa, where to start?
Dec 28, 2008 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

A.Mir

Head-Fier
Greetings people

I've been hanging around these boards for a while now (as an unregistered user), but have decided to finally participate in the debates @ Head-Fi.

The story is this:

My dad just handed me his (old) beloved SONY MDR CD-250 as he won't be using it anymore. Now I know it's not finding its place in the high-end division but it will suffice for my needs for now. I plan to get something better in the second quarter of 2009.

What I need now is an amp.

Requirements:
  1. I need an amp which is compact. Not necessarily microscopic (as the Pico), as it only will be used in my home but compact enough to move and yet be able to produce good sound quality.
  2. The amp must have a built-in DAC. USB or Coax is a must. A set of analogue is also a good thing.
  3. Capable of running on batteries is a good thing but it must also be able to run on DC as well

Budget: $400 max, but I prefer to keep it lower than that.

I would really appreciate your help on this one.

I know that you get these kinds of threads everyday so feel free to bark but just don't bite, cheers
beerchug.gif

Thanks in advance

Alice
dt880smile.png

Dec 28, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by HK_sends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you looked at the practical devices XM-5? It sound like it could meet your requirements.

-HK sends

Actually, I found one on eBay but I passed it as it looked like a toy to me. And I haven't really found any reviews or info on it.

It looks like they cramped a lot of stuff inside a small box. How it sounds is what matters though.

Have you heard it?

Dec 28, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Mir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you heard it?

Not the XM-5. I have two of their XM-4 amps that have served me well for over a year. The XM-4 sounded good (to me) and I was able to upgrade the op-amps to better chips.

There a some threads in the forums about the XM-5 and peoples opinion of it.
Including:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/p...es-xm5-288247/

The opinions of the DAC were not great at first but the owner of Practical Devices actually changed the DAC chip due to feedback and now I hear it is much better. If you like the ability to customize, the PD amps are great. Also, you can start by buying the bare-bones model and then upgrade the op-amps and buffers later (but I believe that even totally hopped up, the cost is under $400)

-HK sends

Dec 28, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 10
Thank you for the links Sends..

I've read a couple of threads now regarding the XM5. Boy was I wrong. It seems to be the swizz army knife of head-amps. I like how it can be customized.

I have to (re)search a little bit more though before I can finally decide. Meier 3Move is also in consideration...

Btw, is it possible to get a good full-size amp for around $200-400? Could you guys name some?

Thanks in advance

Dec 28, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Mir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for the links Sends..

No problem.

I had the XM-5 on my list until I opted for a more expensive amp-only solution, but I haven't given up on it as a future purchase.

Research is the best thing. I have heard nothing but good things about Meier Amps although I've never owned one.

As far as full size, the folks in the full-size headphone amp room would probably have some great suggestions. For myself, I have only owned Little Dot tube-driven amps (the 2, 2+, 2++, and MK IV SE); but I have been satisfied with their performance versus value.

-HK sends

Dec 29, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #8 of 10
There is no question that you should order an ibasso D3...solid and at the top with the big boys in the same class. If you want to spend 4-500 get a predator, but I would say save 200 and get a D3 for 241 USD and get a nice set of cans with the change (and solid silver interconnects).

Dec 29, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulybatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no question that you should order an ibasso D3...solid and at the top with the big boys in the same class. If you want to spend 4-500 get a predator, but I would say save 200 and get a D3 for 241 USD and get a nice set of cans with the change (and solid silver interconnects).

That's a sweet looking amp! How are the reviews?

-HK sends

Dec 29, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #10 of 10
Ali - HeadphoneAddict has a great review of many USB capable DACs. Rumour has it that he will be providing a review of the XM5 in the near future.

I myself have an XM5 currently. I've had an interesting time driving my IEMs with it, but it appears that most everyone else is enjoying their XM5 quite well. I found the XM5's amp to be a little more detailed than my E-MU 0404's headphone out (see below), but I've yet to try either with some high-impedance headphones. The XM5's DAC is good, but not quite as smooth as that of the E-MU 0404, IMHO.

Speaking of which, the E-MU 0404 is something worth considering - except that it doesn't work on batteries - AC only. It has optical, coax, USB (24/96 capable), and analog inputs, as well as line and HP outputs. I've noticed that some people on here buy the E-MU as their first piece of gear, and then get a better amp later on and use the E-MU for it's DAC only.

Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back