who really felt that amping headphone out destroys SQ?
Nov 13, 2008 at 11:02 AM Post #16 of 29
I tried amping headphone out of my Sony Discman which was playing original CD's..

i noticed if i turn the discmans volume full then there is ridiculous distortion.

and at half volume no distortion but very unimpressive amping.

just thought of sharing my experience

Nov 15, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Deleted.

Great posting(sorry, couldn't help myself; actually that one word decribes the way I feel here alot. We're just plain losing it ,aren't we!!! Hehehehehe!)

Nov 16, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #20 of 29
I've listened to both the amped and unapmed headphone outs of a good number of portable audio devices: several sizes of iPods, a 5.5G iMod, several portable CD players ranging in price from $40 to $160, several different portable FM stereo radios. All with what I considered to be decent headphones not requiring an amp: SR60, SR225, Yuin PK1, Yuin PK2, Koss KSC75, and a few Sony's I'm forgetting the model numbers of. In all of these cases, to my ears, the sound quality got better with the amp in proportion to how well the phones used scale with an amp. The SR60 got only marginally better, the Yuin PK2 moreso, Koss KSC75 moreso, Yuin PK1 moreso and the SR225 the most. The amps used ranged from a FiiO E3, a few Cmoys of differing build qualities, multiple models of Go-Vibe, PenguinAmp Caffeine, iBasso P2, Portable Millett Hybrid Amp, SR-71A. I think that the reason why amping the headphone out is generally NOT detrimental is because of the relatively high impedance of the amp's input, which causes the amp inside the portable unit's headphone out to NOT push much current - causing the headphone out to behave like a line out (just providing the voltage vs time traces for the stereo audio). I also think that the reason why amping the headphone out is generally not detrimental is that (with the headphone out acting more like a line out than it would with a pair of headphones attached), the dedicated headphone amp (with its own power source) is better at providing voltage and current to the headphones than the portable audio unit's headphone out - designed to use minimal power and likely containing a considerably cheaper opamp than even a modest dedicated headphone amp. But these are just thoughts behind the experiences that I have had with a variety of units over the last five to six years.

Nov 16, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #21 of 29
sbulack

just by connecting the HP-out of the DAP to the Amp, the hp-out itself will behave like true LO because of the high gain nature of the amp input... am i correct?
(HP-out of the DAP will just give enough current to send stereo signal to the amp)

so basically every DAP is worth amping the hp-out? is that what you're tryin to say?

Nov 16, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #22 of 29
A lot of people say this. However a lot of people have never done it either.

It sounds great. I would not hesitate to do it if the headphones could not be adequately driven by the DAP. Example- D2-2move-Beyer 880.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone plugging an amp to the HP out of any amplifier is 100% wasting the purpose of why the amp was made in the first place. Let's just say that most of the amplifiers in the market were made to pair with iPods via their line outs or mp3 players with line outs.

This just isn't true. The amp was made to drive demanding headphones. If the headphones in question require more power than the mp3 player can offer, then this is perfectly acceptable.

Nov 16, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by knights /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sbulack
just by connecting the HP-out of the DAP to the Amp, the hp-out itself will behave like true LO because of the high gain nature of the amp input... am i correct?
(HP-out of the DAP will just give enough current to send stereo signal to the amp)
so basically every DAP is worth amping the hp-out? is that what you're tryin to say?

Hi knights,
When I post, I generally choose my words reasonably carefully so that they convey what I am trying to say. Because of that, attempts to amplify my statements beyond what I have said, or to generalize my statements beyond what I have said is to say something different than I am trying to say. I'll give the overall response to your questions, and then I'll take a look at what I posted and your summary of it and show the differences. No, your summary of what I posted is not what I was trying to say. I'll bring out what I said, and was trying to say, below:

Here are a few good examples of where the summary above does not convey what I was saying:
(quote from knights)
"just by connecting the HP-out of the DAP to the Amp, the hp-out itself will behave like true LO..."

In one place in my post I wrote, "I think that the reason why amping the headphone out is generally NOT detrimental is because of the relatively high impedance of the amp's input, which causes the amp inside the portable unit's headphone out to NOT push much current - causing the headphone out to behave like a line out (just providing the voltage vs time traces for the stereo audio)."

A little later in the post, I clarify a little more what I meant by that, "(with the headphone out acting more like a line out than it would with a pair of headphones attached)"

So, I would say the following about your summary:
I did not use the phrase "true line out", and I qualified what I meant by "causing the headphone out to behave like a line out" by writing, "the headhone out acting more like a line out than it would with a pair of headphones attached". By that, was I trying to say "true LO"? No.

(knights goes on to ask):
"so basically every DAP is worth amping the hp-out? is that what you're tryin to say?"

My entire post describes a finite set of headphone outs that I've actually amped with a finite set of amps using a finite set of phones - all listed in the post. Then I summarize my observations over that set of trials. I then give some things that "I think" are happening so that, generally (not always), amping a headphone out would not be detrimental (nothing said about it being worth amping - assessments of worth must be made by the person paying to try it). I wrap up those thoughts with my own summary: "But these are just thoughts behind the experiences that I have had with a variety of units over the last five to six years." By making this statement I specify that these thoughts are my attempt to provide a framework for the observations that I myself have made. I don't generalize them to a set of headphone outs that I have not tried. I think that "every DAP is worth amping the hp-out" is not a accurate summary of what I was posting. Was I trying to say that? No.

I hope that clarifies for you, and others who may have similar questions, what I was trying to say in my previous post.

Thank you for asking,
sbulack

Nov 19, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #25 of 29
so afterall even amp makers do really use hp-out in amping
wink.gif

xm4_vidpod2.jpg

Practical Devices Corporation - XM4 Picture Gallery

Nov 19, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by misterDX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
err, you aint even answering my question

u r supposed to use Line out for optimal performance.

otherwise all u r doing is re-amplifying a distorted signal.

headphone jack shud never be used with an amp.

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It sounds undistorted to me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

So you are (oops, sorry, "u r") implying that everyone one who does'nt use an Ipod is either A) Lying or B) Hearing Impaired if they are saying they are not re-amplifying a distorted signal & they are getting great results. If everyone is lying we'll have to contact someone so we can shut down the website or maybe you could do that 4 us.

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

u r quite convincing when u RiGhT this wEiGh

Thanks for clarifying, I will never use my Cowon D2 and Python D3 together again
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back