Which wireless headphones should I buy?
Nov 24, 2014 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

MadeOfSwords

New Head-Fier
I've been wanting to get a good pair of wireless headphones for a while now with what's considered great sound quality. What I'm using right now is the Turtle Beach PX22 which I'm assuming doesn't have that great of sound quality. I've seen 2 types of wireless headphones, ones with a receiver and ones that are bluetooth. The ones with receivers seem easier to set up and don't require me to buy a bluetooth adapter and some even have a handy charging port. While the bluetooth ones seem more portable and versatile. Since the receiver ones are generally connected to an audio cable and not usb, I assume they have better sound quality? As long as it isn't a huge difference I don't mind, and my standards are already low to begin with (PX22). 

Now what I'm currently looking at are the Sennheiser RS170s, Sony MDR1BTs, and JLab Omnis. The amount I want to spend is under 150$. I live in Canada so it's harder to find the lower prices or sales that amazon.com have in canadian online stores. I could order from there but it will cost me extra for shipping and import fees. The RS 170s cost 260$, the MDR1BTs cost 250$, and the JLab Omnis cost 118$. The Omnis are on sale right now for 80$ but with shipping and currency conversion it comes to 118, not including import fees. The Omnis are new and I assume isn't well known but most reviews I've seen praise it's sound quality and comfort, and say they're headphones that sound as good as 200$+ ones. The MDR1BTs were apparently on sale for 150$ last year on boxing day. And for the RS170s, since it's black friday soon and there's also boxing day, those could go on sale as well.

I use my headphones mostly for my PC and also with my PS3 (RCA to 3.5mm). I like a huge variety of music so I'd like balanced sound quality that sound great with everything. If I had to choose what genres I like most, it would be rock, classical, orchestral, and techno. I also use them for playing games and movies a lot, but a mic isn't required.  What I'm mostly concerned about is if the bluetooth headphones have a build in amp. What I do with my PX22s is I have my Windows volume maxed out and control the volume through the amp that came with the PX22s. Will I be able to to the same with the bluetooth headsets? For my PS3 I'll need some kind of amp to control the volume since I use RCA to 3.5mm.

Lastly, I'd be very grateful if you know of any other headphones that match my budget and standards. Please take shipping, import fees, and CAD currency into account.

Edit: Forgot to mention they have to be Over-Ear & Closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back