Which SS amp for Grado HP2 and Edition9? Rudistor? RSA? Other?
Sep 8, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What supermagic wide soundstage are you talking about on a Grado heapdhone? AFAIK, you will not get any superwide soundstage from any Grado, regardless the amp you use, not even their own amps, or the Melos that is supposed to be a wonderful match for them...

I think it must have been quite some time since you've heard the higher end Grados.

The PS-1, HP-1000, and GS1000 can easily throw an extremely wide soundstage. Wider than the ED9 in fact.

Sep 8, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by iozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Too bad I have no way to test a Rudistor or Graham Slee amp...

I am in the process of setting up a group of 10 head-fiers who will receive Grahams latest headphone amp. The Novo! It is a fully discrete SS amp which is expected to retail for $400 w/ the stock wall-wart. I realize it would not be considered high end because of its price but if you are not in a rush then you should be reading their comments by the end of September.

Sep 8, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

HeadphoneAddict: Thanks for the tip, I haven't heard of the Square Wave before so I have a new bunch of threads to read
smily_headphones1.gif

You own the XL version which is balanced but use it single ended, in this case is there a sonic difference with the normal version?

I've read that the SW has quite the same sound signature but is not better than the RSA HR-2 that I own though...

Unfortunately you wont see many reviews if any of the final production model of Square Wave XL, other than mine and Blutarsky's.

I have not heard the SE version - the balanced version has a SE jack in the center of each XLR output, just like the Headroom balanced desktop amp.

Sep 8, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

HeadphoneAddict: Thanks for the tip, I haven't heard of the Square Wave before so I have a new bunch of threads to read
smily_headphones1.gif

You own the XL version which is balanced but use it single ended, in this case is there a sonic difference with the normal version?

I've read that the SW has quite the same sound signature but is not better than the RSA HR-2 that I own though...

If you want "much better" than the HR-2 you will need to shell out a cash premium. I'd look at a Beta22, GSX, or Apache. Unfortunately, you really can only get the GSX in a timely manner by buying used, but the Beta22 and Apache are more readily available.

The HR-2 is a very good SS amp and a lot of them amps mentioned aren't going to get you "much better". Remember that the law of diminishing returns applies to amps. If you are willing to pay for that extra 10% then good luck with your search!

Sep 9, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HR-2 is a very good SS amp and a lot of them amps mentioned aren't going to get you "much better". Remember that the law of diminishing returns applies to amps. If you are willing to pay for that extra 10% then good luck with your search!

Yeah that's also my conclusion after a lot of reading, I'm hesitating between keeping the HR-2 or buying a Apache
smily_headphones1.gif
I think the jump is worth it but I'll have some remorse if I use the Apache only as an headphone amp, so I try to get some information about its preamp capabilities.

Concerning the RSA return policy, is there any and does it apply for international buyers?

Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want "much better" than the HR-2 you will need to shell out a cash premium. I'd look at a Beta22, GSX, or Apache.

Don't know about the Beta22, some new nice reading, thanks
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Concerning the RSA return policy, is there any and does it apply for international buyers?

It does, I purchased a Raptor off Ray a few years back which developed a problem a few weeks after I recieved it. Ray did his best to troubleshoot with me, and when that failed gave me a refund without issues.

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #23 of 25
I'd get a HeadAmp GS-1/GS-X or Channel Islands HP-2 with VAC-1 power supply, if I was looking for an amp now. I'm currently running a Headsave Classic v3, which is out of production.

Sep 10, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #24 of 25
Thanks everyone!

I think I'll keep the HR-2 for the moment as I'm happy with it and check the FS forum for a high-end Rudistor or Apache. So that if I don't really like it I'll put it back for sale
smily_headphones1.gif

Can't wait to read more about the Novo as well, even if it doesn't play in the same league.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back