Which speaker type has a faster transient response?
Feb 26, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #33 of 38
I don't know if this is true or not, but I was thinking that slow decay from a single impulse (which is how I assume those tests are done) wouldn't actually effect the perceived transients of 'stats when actually playing music and not just test tones.

My thinking is that since the membrane is so thin and light and because its driven much more equally across its whole surface, the continuous electromagnetic forces will mostly overpower its own resonances which will only be noticeable if you send a single impulse and then measure how long it takes to settle down.

Genius or dumb? 

Mar 1, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #34 of 38
I don't understand why this needs to be so complicated.  Its called slew rate.  The universal test for checking slew rate is the square wave.  The perfect square wave has an infinite acceleration rate and infinite deceleration rate.

Mar 2, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #36 of 38

Quote:
Plasma speaker. Now we need headphone-size...

The ozone and nitric oxide produced will likely destroy your ears and eyes (your lungs as well if you manage to breathe it in)

I actually want to build a plasma speaker, does anyone know how safe operation will be in a semi-open area? Listening duration would be about an album most days. How much would breeze affect SQ in an open area?

Will the size of the coil affect sound quality, or simply potential volume?

Mar 2, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #37 of 38

Quote:
The ozone and nitric oxide produced will likely destroy your ears and eyes (your lungs as well if you manage to breathe it in)

I actually want to build a plasma speaker, does anyone know how safe operation will be in a semi-open area? Listening duration would be about an album most days. How much would breeze affect SQ in an open area?

Instead of an out and out plasma speaker, why not use sub arcing ionization to move the air molecules.  Just modulate the HV ionization level.

Breezes will affect audio the same no matter the source.  Try putting an electric fan between you and a speaker and listen.  Breezes have same affect, just less noticeable.  Overhead ceiling fans mess up sound in the same way.  Sound is caused by air motion, pressurization and rarefaction.  One air stream can modulate another.

Mar 5, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #38 of 38

Quote:

This is one of the reasons I hated going into sharper image.  It always sucked trying to breathe in there with their ionic breeze display chugging away. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back