Which portable ? !?
Dec 12, 2008 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

z50j

100+ Head-Fier
I've been researching for the best portable headphones under $100 for my new ipod touch. My old ones (sennheiser omx 70) could never make that much bass, and I lost them, so i'm looking for a new one.

These portbles are the one that intrigued me most:

Koss PortaPro - $49.99
Best value for money, Good bass, I like the retro look, although some dont, and look at the price! Why do you think they didn't stop making them after the 80's

AKG K 414 P - $79.99
"May sound too bassy", better than the koss in isolation, but then it's bigger(fatter)

Sennheiser PX100 - $69.99
Well this has to be here since I usually find these in sites that Ive seen saying these, the Koss and the AKG are similar (even if it's not)

Ultrasone iCans - $69.99
Sound good, but i didn't research enough on these

Bang & Olufsen Form 2 - $95.99
All I can say is that the price is based on the name and the looks

Pioneer SE-MJ3 - $49.99
OK... but the Koss is better

Skullcandy Lowrider - $39.99
It's just irresistably shiney, furry and has a free dog tag or a bandana, sure on NOT getting it. But it still is shiney

My standards are: Value for money, Brand, Quality (durability), Sound quality, Bass, Comfort, looks and lets not forget warranty (if the cans are fragile)

I'm choosing between the portapro and the k 414 but opinions on the others are good too.

But still my priorities are the Koss PortaPro and the AKG K 414 P

I'm leaving to hong kong on the 26th so I better make my mind before I leave
Oh if someone could tell me where to buy that'd be great

Dec 13, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #2 of 15
Can anyone mention other portable headphones below $100 that's better than what i've mentioned

Dec 13, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 15
I did consider the iGrado or the SR60 but I'm gonna use 'em outside my house which can't be a choice because of the sound (spilling) leaking in. No comment on the othe two though

Dec 13, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #6 of 15
Full sized headphones do have great sound and sometimes the perfect fit but they are big. Besides my dad is lendind me his philips hp295 because he has his new shure but its to big to be brought out the house without bag or something.

IEM's great sound and isolation, you can bearly hear the tv at full volume but comfort compared other audio devices are well... incomparable(based from the E2C i tried) so theyre not an option.

Dec 13, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #8 of 15
I haven't listened to the iGrados, and I liked slightly better the Portapros than the PX-100. It's a matter of personal preference mate, do your best to try them, those phones are quite ubiquitous and easy to try before purchasing. I don't think, apart from the SR-60 or maybe some intracanal buds like the Sony MDR-EX85, you can do much better for less than 100 bucks.

Dec 13, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #9 of 15
out of your choices I voted koss. but for the $100 you can actually get the KCS75 and get them modded/recabled sound and look awesome. for under $100 with IEM's you'd be hard pressed to beat them. its only when you start to spend decent money on IEM's that they really compete. one that is more of a earbud is the audiotechnica CK7 they are real giant killers, with full range sound and look nice too.

Dec 13, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #10 of 15
Between the Koss PortaPro and the AKG K 414 P I would certainly pick up the PortaPro.
With a wider selection I would pick up a pair of IEM's though.
wink.gif

Dec 13, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by z50j /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did consider the iGrado or the SR60 but I'm gonna use 'em outside my house which can't be a choice because of the sound (spilling) leaking in. No comment on the othe two though

If you can't use the iGrado, then you probably can't use the KSC 75 or the PX100. For some reason, the PortaPros seemed to me like they isolated pretty well, but I didn't find them that comfy. So, from your list: PortraPros or K414P. The K414P have a bad rep here, but there's some controversy about that. Try them for yourselves, if you can. At any rate, in a noisy environment, the K414Ps are the best portables sub-$100, IMHO. That isn't really saying much though.

Can't wait to get back from Sydney to try my new HD25s, waiting for me at home.
frown.gif

Dec 14, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #13 of 15
Thanks to all your comments guys i'm getting the portapros then. Sorry arwcoco i'm guessing you have a px100. As for the grado followers i've recently tried a pair of sr60's (which i think have the same drivers as the igrado) amazing, crisp sound but well... the leaks. I still want to own a pair though.

Dec 16, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...but for the $100 you can actually get the KCS75 and get them modded/recabled sound and look awesome...

how do I get them remodded/recabled, they do that or I do that? how do you do that??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back