Which portable (OE or AE) headphones for an Astell And Kern AK-100?
Feb 26, 2014 at 8:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

LogA3

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

This is my very first post.  I tried a search but didn't find a matching answer so far...  Hope this will not bother you...

I have purchased an AK-100 about 4 month ago and I am looking for the best matching headphone for it.

What you should know about me : 

- First of all I'm a bit confused because I don't know how to find if it's an MKII or not...  I red this could be of high importance choosing the right headphone... (Edit : Finally found, it's not a MKII).
- I am mainly listening to Vocal Jazz and really likes details, voice stuffs, warm but not dark sound and very large sound stages...
- I am looking of a portable headphone (closed design if possible, no matter if it is an OE or an AE).  Important point, it should be very confortable because of frequent long listening sessions (4 to 5 hours) due to travels.
- So far I have tested the following headphones :
   . Klipsh X10i : I like it because it gives a little bit of warmth that is missing to the AK100 but it is an in ears and I do not support it more than one hour whatever tip I use. It also lacks deep bass and speed...
   . Focal Spirit One : the default one I used as soon as I bought the AK100.  Punchy, ideal for Pop music but not confortable (got glasses), too small sound stage and unfortunately gives me a headache in less than 10 min with jazz.
   . Beyerdynamic T50p, already "optimized" using replacement cushion designed for the DT 1350/T51p.  Could fit an iPod while traveling but doesn't fit the AK100 (my point of view) : flaty sound, no space, no warmth in voice...  Maybe the worst headphone I bought at this price (my point of view)... with the B&W P3 I immediately sold after its burn-in period (my point of view again...).
   . Denon AH-D7100 :  Great soundstage, very open, very detailed (but poor vocals with the iPod cable).   The reason I own an AH-D7100 is because it was identified as a matching headphone by Astell & Kern in their FAQ.  It has been removed from the AK FAQ since but is still mentioned in the AK100 Stereophile Review... I like it... but at home only!
  . Grado SR2 : Impedance may not fit the AK100 (I know it is a 32 ohm)?  Rich but flatty And they are opened...

I red in the AK FAQ (and saw on Beyerdynamic's Site) that an optimal match could be the DT 1350.  As a proof Beyerdynamic now sells a portable DAC that is actually the AK10 (rebranded A 200 p) sometimes as a bundle with the DT 1350.

So, before to spend some more money on a new headphone, regarding my very poor experience with the T50p (Beyerdynamic), I really would love any piece of advice. 

Many thanks by advance,

Regards,

Log

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #2 of 2
Just a bump and an update:

Tried old headphones my neighbor had : Bose QC15, Sennheiser PXC-310, Sennheiser HD238, B&O A8, Sony MDR-888, Sony MDR51 (even apple earbuds) with no luck...  
Sennehsier PXC-310 was quite ok for me while used as BT headphone but BT headphone (even if they are Apt-X) are of no interest for HQ audio, so...
I finally unpacked my good old Stax Lambda Pro Classic and found it to be fantastic with the AK100.  (My wife didn't find so... open design... at night...) And I can definitively not use it on the go...
What about Grado GR 10? (even if I don't lime earbuds)

Log

Users who are viewing this thread

Back