Which portable amp for bassy IEM, must be SUB $165
Feb 9, 2009 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

toxic888

100+ Head-Fier
Budget is a very firm SUB ~$165.
preferably, if there is an amp out there that cost ~$80, and performs very well for it's price, please let me know.

This amp will be used with Klipsch Image X10 IEM's. (a single driver, bassy IEM)

I listen primarily to progressive rock, alternative rock, alternative, rock, hard rock, metal, electonica, techno, dance.

The portable amps i'm considering are:
-Corda HEADSIX/XXS
-iBasso T4
-iBasso D2 Boa
-HeadRoom Total AirHead

I don't need DAC, actually not at all. My portable rig is my home rig.

Please let me know which one pairs best with IEM's, or the X10 specifically.

Feb 9, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #2 of 15
How about a Total AirHead from Headroom.com. $100 and well worth it.

Feb 9, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 15
ill check it out, thanks for the info.

EDIT: that seems to be what I'm looking for. Hopefully, with less portability comes more amplification. (at the same price...)

Thanks!

Feb 9, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 15
It's actually quite portable.

Feb 9, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #6 of 15
I have the D2 Boa, Corda XXS and T4.

My ranking would be: XXS > D2 > T4. The T4 and D2 are extremely close though, and if it wasn't for the DAC in the D2 I'd probably put the T4 just a bit ahead.

The Corda might be a bit too clean for your tastes though.

Feb 9, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #7 of 15
x2 on the mini3. You can have it built for you, even though its a DIY amp, and spend 150 after shipping. a great sounding, tiny little amp

Feb 10, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #10 of 15
Meir Corda Headsix $165
Rockhopper Audio Mini3 $135
Practical Devices XM4 $135
NuForce Icon Mobile $99
Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Feb 10, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the D2 Boa, Corda XXS and T4.

My ranking would be: XXS > D2 > T4. The T4 and D2 are extremely close though, and if it wasn't for the DAC in the D2 I'd probably put the T4 just a bit ahead.

exactly what I was looking for, thanks, surprised you have all those. Have you compared all of them in a formal review/thread? I'll look if you have... would definitely like to read it to get someone other than Skylab's opinion hah!

ironically, for my circumstances, it turns out the cheapest one is best :)

Feb 10, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are you trying to say that the corda headsix is the kind of amp that keeps the sound fairly neutral, not accentuating or increasing the level of bass or treble? (well... relative to others that ight do so....) Is that what you mean by clear? I'm looking for an amp that would properly accentuate and/or increase bass impact and treble response rather that just primarily be engineered based on neutral sound and meant for high impedance phones so you could listen to them at a satisfying volume level... since i don't own high impedance phones this is not a feature i will need/ am worried/concerned about.

With that said, would the T4 match my tastes? Is the Boa similiar? are there any other amps that aren't listed that match my preferences, that are under $165?

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #13 of 15
NuForce Icon Mobile. Read solid reviews.. will be ordering one soon.

Mar 1, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #14 of 15
I've got a PA2V2 on its way in the mail - $60 shipped.

Have read great things about it here and elsewhere, and Gary's a fantastic guy to deal with, as many here will also say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back