Which phone to get?
Aug 22, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #46 of 47
i have the HTC pro and last week i bought a used iphone 3g,and sold it in 3 days!ya the touch screen is big and easy to use and doesnt recquire you to press it hard like the PRO,but the resolution for a screen of this size is just FOR ME a joke.the PRO has a resolution of 480x640 which is double that of the iphone and thus it has more pixel per inch.the iphone resolution becomes very annoying for me especially when watching movies and the dark colours become pixelted.the app store is cool but contains about 80% garbage apps,except the medical apps which were very useful but costs a very loafty price.and for me the browser is no better than the opera browser 9.5 or 9.6(turbo)which is blasting fast and better than safari.i prefer even opera mini because of its unbelievable speed in rendering pages.and what about that you cant sync your mail on wifi,why should you have a data plan,what rip off is that?any windows mobile phone can sync over wifi withe no cost at all!And thats not all.i upgraded to the latest software 3.0.1 AND WHAT A DAMN MISTAKE!its buggy,it slowed down the iphone and became even slower than the HTC PRO especially when you are writing on the keyboard and scrolling through contacts and safari.and why the heck do i need to get the official wall charger to charge it up!it wont charge on my htc charger simply because there is something in the iphone circuit that doesnt fully work except when connected to computer or official charger.and as a music player,i found it only average and my zune120 sounds alot better using the ie8 and jvc fx500.i sold it with the same price i bought it for because it doesnt deserve what i paid for.
my only advice to you is DONT UPGRADE TO VERSION 3.0.1 because i read somewhere that APPLE specifically made it slower than the others versions to make the 3GS be displayed as a much powerful and speedy device,all part of marketing process.
OH,I READ YOUR LAST POST,good move that you got the 2G but if your father want a phone dont recommend him the iphone3g because apart from what i said its so buggy and slow,and this is not a hardware problem its a software problem because before i upgraded to OS 3.0.1 it was working normally and much faster than 3.0.1 i am going to get the Blackberry 8900 because it is for me much better than the iphone and the keyboard is really useful in composing messages and chatting which i use alot on my HTC PRO.if your father want a stable great straight forward device and wont use useless apps then a Blackberry(ANY VERSION,BOLD,CURVE,TOUR..)is a no brainer.

Aug 23, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #47 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by .coco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have owned the iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, Blackberry Storm, Blackberry Curve, and HTC G1 (Google phone), along with many other smart phones.

I rate them in this order:

iPhone 3G - Great overall performance, once you go iPhone you never go back.

iPhone 3GS - Very nice, but in my opinion, not worth the price over the iPhone 3G. Best reason to get this phone is for the compass, which makes the GPS actually usable, and the better camera. If you dont care about those two things, go for the 3G. I still own this.

iPhone - Like an iPhone 3G but lacking. It was good when it came out, but the 3G is better.

Blackberry Curve - Decent utility phone, not fun compared to the iPhone by all means. I use it for overseas travel, as the international plan is amazing. I still own this (work pays for it).

HTC G1 - Pretty weak. This phone would have been impressive 4 years ago, but now it feels behind the time. Everything is a little too slow, the touch sensitivity is not very good, the screen does not look good, and the design is not great. People who recommend this phone tend to be people who dismissed the iPhone before ever really trying it out, probably because they hate Apple for some reason. The only people who I know who kept this phone are Google fanboys.

Blackberry Storm - The worst phone I have ever ever owned. It is terrible. It is obvious that Blackberry scrambled to get this phone out to compete with the iPhone. I feel bad for people when I see them holding the phone. Out work phones are all Blackberries, and initially most of us chose the Storm. We ALL ended up changing them, mostly to the Curve.

I will agree with some of these statements. I'll begin by agreeing fully with your assessment of the Storm, it's just downright bad. The Curve/Bold and the new generation Tour/Onyx Crackberries are just flat out easy to use and wonderful for what they do. That said, if you want something that does everything, let's move towards the iPhone/Android Duo (G1 and MyTouch)/Palm Pre.

The Palm Pre does feel relatively stable, like the G1, due to its rock-like shape. I've only touched one briefly and have heard that they will break and swivel ("oreo" effect) and Gizmodo says- no, actually shows- that the bottom lip is sharp enough to cut cheese. I really liked my G1 for the time I had it. It's true power is in the rock-solid well designed QWERTY keyboard and rooting abilities. It's easier to root a G1 or MyTouch than an iPhone, flat out. The customized and more advanced Cyanogen ROMs (and others, of course) really bring out much more speed, responsiveness, and features such as wifi tethering, linux (installing debian), multitouch, etc. The MyTouch, of which I should be picking up fairly soon (my G1 was destroyed on Friday when I got drenched in a rainstorm), is just like the G1 without a keyboard, slight battery improvements, more RAM/ROM, and slightly smaller size.

The iPhone is really beautiful, it's really responsive from the get-go, it has a near limitless app store, but especially without jailbreaking, it's like a bird in a guilded cage. Jailbreaking is something I'd absolutely do if I had an iPhone, although I hear it's not as safe as jailbreaking an iPod Touch. The touch keyboard on the iPhone is better than the stock Android touch keyboard, but not quite as good as the HTC_IME replacement given in the custom roms.

It's really on personal preference, but I feel that in the future, Android will slowly pull towards the iPhone, and the Palm Pre will flop to some degree and fizzle off. Blackberry will remain an extremely large market for people who want something-but-not-everything phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back