Which Head Phones for Home cinema?
Aug 16, 2002 at 10:45 PM Post #16 of 29
Sony MDR-CD1700s can be found at MacDonald Electronics, on Oxford Street, London for £80 (original cost £200)... or you can go to www.askdirect.co.uk and whilst not listed on their items for sale section, send an email to the sales dept, and they'll help you out
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2002 at 3:30 AM Post #17 of 29
I bought my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro at least in part for watching movies late at night. My main reason for getting these phones was the bass performance--I want some impact from the explosions etc. If that's of interest to you, you might like them for HT.

Aug 18, 2002 at 1:20 AM Post #18 of 29
Thanks guys for the pointers. I guess I'm going to do a bit of auditioning. By the way Duncan is there anywhere around London where you can try any of the phones that have been mentioned here, or indeed anywhere with a big choice.

Ian

Aug 18, 2002 at 2:25 AM Post #19 of 29
grinch: Actually, the Hearo 999 might not be the best wireless solution - even from AKG. I gave my test sample to a friend who also has a Hearo 777 Quadra - and he likes the 777 better, especially because this analog system fades out fairly smooth upon bad receiption, whereas bad receiption will result in drop-outs with the 999. And I've recently read a comparision in one of the German magazines (might have been "video"), too, where the results were also in favour of the 777...

Ian Milton: Btw, I've made the MDR-605LP my tv headphone. From the design it's a - significantly cheaper! - low cost brother of the MDR-F1, but the sound quality seems fairly good for the price - and it also seems very comfy to me. Anyway, you should probably check for the sound quality of the headphone and/or line out on your tv-set, first, because it might as well be hissy and noisy (like it is on my own Sony). Shelling out a good amount of money would be waste, then.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Aug 18, 2002 at 7:23 AM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Ian Milton
Thanks guys for the pointers. I guess I'm going to do a bit of auditioning. By the way Duncan is there anywhere around London where you can try any of the phones that have been mentioned here, or indeed anywhere with a big choice.

Ian

Ian,

To be honest, a lot of places don't allow you to try headphones, because of 'ear hygiene'... but there is one place, near to London (if I conclude that you're in Scotland, 45 miles away is still close
wink.gif
) that I personally know of, and use... Which is David Orton Audio Visual in Hitchin, Hertfordshire... They stock all of the Sennheiser line, some of the Beyers, and the lower end Grados... worth a try?

If not, just any generally well recognised audio dealer should be able to help you out??

thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2002 at 1:14 AM Post #21 of 29
Thanks Duncan.
I am actually living in East Grinstead right now although I also have a house in Edinburgh. I will have a look at the map and try and make a visit to the shop you mention.

Cheers

ian.

Aug 20, 2002 at 3:12 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Ian Milton
Thanks Duncan.
I am actually living in East Grinstead right now although I also have a house in Edinburgh. I will have a look at the map and try and make a visit to the shop you mention.

Cheers

ian.

Ah, Edinburgh, one of the truly great cities of the world, (not to mention the incredible pubs to be found everywhere) and you have a house there too! My compliments Ian.............I am jealous!

JC

Aug 22, 2003 at 6:49 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
i can't believe nobody has thought of this yet but: why not the akg hearo 999 system?

Has anybody tried this amp yet? How was it?

Aug 22, 2003 at 9:17 PM Post #24 of 29
I'm pretty happy with the HD590 for movies -- but if anyone can recommend a better movie phone to me, I'll investigate.

I've heard that the Ultrasone HFI-650 DVD edition is great for movies.

Aug 22, 2003 at 11:53 PM Post #25 of 29
I like the impact of the Grado 325 for TV. They also clarify dialogue very nicely. But I gather that new ones are overpriced in the UK....

Aug 23, 2003 at 2:49 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by tortie
What about the sealed variety guys? What sealed cans are good for home cinema in terms of comfort and sound quality?

Sony MDR-CD3000 are quite good from my personal experience (the more expensive, better quality brothers to the CD1700s)...though aren't the CD1700s closed as well?

The aforementioned Ultrasones have been mentioned as good closed home theater phones.

Aug 23, 2003 at 3:18 AM Post #29 of 29
IIRC, they don't require one but one is certainly recommended. Amps will increase the sound quality of most good cans. My Meta certainly adds depth to the sound of my CD3000s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back