Which frequencies are affected by illness?
Feb 14, 2017 at 9:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Selbi

100+ Head-Fier
(Bare with me, this might be a stupid topic/question. I'm in my bed and got nothing better to do than contemplating random thoughts.)

I'm ill right now, your everyday infection, need a few days to rest. Nothing Special. However, now that I know a little bit about sound and frequencies, I really notice that everything sounds different and muffled, like a bad EQ or DSP in my head. Have you ever thought about that? I just can't pinpoint what exactly is going on. Are the highs rolled off? Is the bass drowned out? Are the mids gone?

What would a frequency response graph of your generic illness look like?

Feb 14, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #2 of 4
I'd assume that "processing power" is running low rather than anything is wrong with frequency perception. Of course if you have an acute ear infection it's a different matter. When is knocked out by a flu last year, I wasn't capable of enjoying listening to music at all or reading for that matter, it feels like your brain also wants a rest not just the rest of your body. Take it easy, be better soon.

Feb 14, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #3 of 4
(Bare with me, this might be a stupid topic/question. I'm in my bed and got nothing better to do than contemplating random thoughts.)

I'm ill right now, your everyday infection, need a few days to rest. Nothing Special. However, now that I know a little bit about sound and frequencies, I really notice that everything sounds different and muffled, like a bad EQ or DSP in my head. Have you ever thought about that? I just can't pinpoint what exactly is going on. Are the highs rolled off? Is the bass drowned out? Are the mids gone?

Could be any or all of that. It would be different for everyone, and different for different conditions. Congestion, of example, might affect lows and overall acuity.
What would a frequency response graph of your generic illness look like?

Too many variables, and little point in testing for a temporary anomaly. Just be glad it's over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back