Which compact camera should I get? LX5 vs. XZ-1
May 6, 2011 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

rasmushorn

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi
I just sold my Olympus E-510 and Panasonic Lumix LX3. I want to get just ONE good compact camera to replace both of them. I know it will involve a few compromises. I will miss the zoom lens of the E-510 where I can pull faces very close for instance when photographing at parties etc. I will miss the small convenient size of the LX3 when hiking and trekking. But that is ok. The zoom lens of the E-510 can be replaced by the photographer moving more around and getting closer to the object and I think I will be able to live with a little bit bigger camera. 

So I am looking at these two:

1) Olympus XZ-1: Has fantastic reviews but lacks full HD video. Great for low light shots because of the F1.8 aperture.

2) Lumix LX5: Has it all but I might not get the same control over "depth of field" as I can get in the XZ-1 - which is most important to me to make great shots. 

- I have also been considering a more expensive alternative and look at the Olympus E-PL2 but I am not sure I will be getting any extra lenses and I also think extra lenses are way to expensive. 

What do you think? 
And does anyone here have any experience with both LX5 and XZ-1 I should consider?

Thanks!

May 6, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #2 of 15
If you can live withouth HD video go for the first one and check if the controls and menus of the camera suit your preferences when working with a camera. If you cannot work with it, it is not suitable.

Another thing that matters; the camera software since the software can seriously hinder you when working on the photos. 

I have no experience with the above mentioned products. I only assume there is a store where you can check the cameras out.

May 8, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #3 of 15
I have a Lumix myself and I love it. The one thing I'd say is the images can get a little noisy, but that's because of the kind of sensor it uses. Nikon's tend to be a little better in that regard. One other point in Lumix's column is the lens. Panasonic uses Leica lenses in their cameras. They're the only ones who do aside from Leica. If you don't know what that means go ask a professional photographer if he would like a Leica lens for his Nikon and watch him start to drool. Problem is, they don't make one for DSLRs that aren't theirs but you see my point. Leica lenses are considered to be some of the best in the business.

My guess is you are somewhat more capable with a camera so manual controls don't frighten you. In that regard you're right to not choose Nikon or Canon.

I'd say check out dpreview.com and look at the specs. They do an amazing breakdown for just about every camera including comparisons with other models. I know when I did my research Lumix cameras tended to come out a little ahead due to the lens quality and power of the manual controls. Also, a few Lumix cameras have a built-in GPS module for geo-tagging, which I find quite nice.

May 10, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 15
You already had an LX3 so you should be able to guess how the LX5 handles. Practically they're quite similar, except for the longer range of the LX5. I don't have any experience with the XZ-1 other than seeing it at the store, and it looks slightly larger than the LX series.

If you're looking at low light performance, you aren't going to get any significant differences between f1.8 vs f.20 -- it's just 1/3 stop difference. Same thing with DOF control also -- insignificant difference expecially with these small-sensor compact cameras.

Personally, I'd suggest you go for the E-PL2 instead (or perhaps GF2 if you're more Panasonic-inclined... or even E-PL1 which should be a lot cheaper now). As for lenses, you don't really need to spend too much on them -- buy the camera with kit lens and add the 20/1.7. The 20/1.7 is gonna give you low-light *and* DOF capability that's leagues ahead of the LX5 or XZ1, plus you can go up to ISO1600 without breaking a sweat (while the IQ of the compacts will start breaking down significantly once you go over ISO400).

May 10, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #5 of 15
If you're after a good compact, how about a TZ8? (not a TZ10 - stupid addition of GPS reduces pics per charge horribly, and honestly, just how lost can you actually get?)

I have had an FZ18 for ages, and it is brilliant. I got Mrs D a TZ8 for her birthday, and it is very very good - and goes out to a 24mm wide angle, which I'm very jealous of.

TZ8s don't do RAW, but that doesn't bother me.

My only objection is the lack of a viewfinder. The slavish following of fashion that caused the breed's disappearance baffles me.
I like a camera stuck to my face, rather than doing that prattish "arm's length with a squint to see the screen because it's sunny, or... well... at arm's length" pose...

May 10, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #6 of 15
I'd also recommend something along the lines of what MadCow said, a micro 4/3/Nex camera with a pancake lens. It would also give you more options, as you can change lenses to suit your needs and adapt older, usually cheap, legacy lens onto your system.

If you have the money, should also check out the Fuji FinePix X100.

May 11, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #7 of 15
Thank you for the recommendations. I lived the LX3 and the LX5 looks like it will suit me fine. But I am still also considering the E-PL2 or perhaps GF2 as MadCow recommended. DPReview says the DOF is very good on the XZ-1 and that is is a bit better than E-PL2 and GF2 with their kit lenses and much better than the LX5 - so that counts for a lot. So I guess it depends on how much money I am going to spend if I choose the E-PL2 or perhaps GF2 + extra lenses. I like Olympus and the Lumix's so I think I will narrow it down to those two brands so far....

May 11, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #8 of 15
It's too easy keep going, "Well, this one is slightly better than that one so..." I have a buddy who's pricing out a computer he plans on building. He started at $800. He's now over $1,000 because he keeps going, "That's only another $20."

Pick your budget based on what you can afford and what you want to spend. Then find the best camera for your needs within that budget. Otherwise you'll never end the search.

May 30, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #9 of 15
Afte some thought and reading I went for the Olympus XZ-1.
I am looking forward to have time to play with it and hopefully take some great pictures.
Thanks for your help.

May 30, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
Afte some thought and reading I went for the Olympus XZ-1.
I am looking forward to have time to play with it and hopefully take some great pictures.
Thanks for your help.

Congrats on your choice. I went for the LX-5 myself and I couldn't be happier. I posted some pictures in the Leica D-Lux 5 thread if you want to see what this camera can do.

The XZ-1 was also on my initial list. It looks like a mighty fine camera and I am sure it will suit you well.

Jun 1, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #11 of 15
After one hour of use I have to say that it takes some getting used to the interface. The LX-3 was fast and had all the controls at hand so I still miss the LX-3 a bit. But I am sure that will go away as soon as I am used t having all settings in the menu. But the picture-Quality is better than the LX-3 and the art-filters and scenes are fantastic. I think I can produce great pictures great pictures with this camera. So far so good.

Jun 1, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
After one hour of use I have to say that it takes some getting used to the interface. The LX-3 was fast and had all the controls at hand so I still miss the LX-3 a bit. But I am sure that will go away as soon as I am used t having all settings in the menu. But the picture-Quality is better than the LX-3 and the art-filters and scenes are fantastic. I think I can produce great pictures great pictures with this camera. So far so good.

Yeah...sometimes it's just a matter of getting familiar with the new gear. Be sure to post your pictures!

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #13 of 15
This camera is a lot of fun and it gives excellent pictures. I am slowly getting used to the interface and I am sure I will be able to operate it just as fast as the LX-3. This camera is a bit slower than the LX-3 - not that I can not get used to it but it I notice it when turning on and off not during taking photos though. 

I have had a day to play with the new camera. Family holiday and we went to a lake nearby:

The "Dramatic" arts effect can produce some great pictures: 

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #14 of 15
Very nice pictures! Love the fishy one.

That last one looks too over-processed for my tastes but I bet it would make an awesome shot if you have a regular non-processed RAW or JPG with a bit of tweaking.

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #15 of 15
Nice photos I agree. I have been thinking about getting XZ1 as a compliment to my DSLR, but somehow cannot get used to the idea of not having my DSLR with me, even if it means lugging 2kgs of equipment everywhere I go :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back