Which cheap and portable dac/amp?
May 16, 2021 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

I am considering getting a portable dac/amp for my Hifiman Sundara and AKG K371 and a future IEM.

My short list contains the AQ Dragonflies, Lotoo Paw S1, Fiio BTR5, IFI Hip Dac. Which should I get? Any other options I should take into account?

I need real-life suggestions. :)

I know many people would claim that the Sundara could never be powered by a dongle, but I have seen several accounts that prove the opposite. And a desktop solution is out of the question.

Thanks!

May 16, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 9
May 17, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #3 of 9
You might want to take a look at the XDuoo XD-05 line. Three models; Basic, Plus and Balanced are all more than capable of powering the Sundaras and sound great IMO.

I had the Basic, but had to return it because of a volume pot issue, and decided to upgrade to the balanced version. The Basic was great though, especially for the price. And it features a 6db Bass Boost function, which works really well with the Sundaras.

May 17, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 9
Fiio BTR5
I used to own this one and did not like it at all. Perhaps it was because I used I as Bluetooth receiver, so quality was degraded by Bluetooth codecs. In any case, what is your budget? My first dac/amp was Chord Mojo and I enjoyed it greatly with many of my IEMs and HPs

May 18, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #5 of 9
I've own both the Chord Mojo and a Dragonfly Red. I would lean on the Dragonfly for portability as they are quite small and light.

I use my Mojo for work on my desk as the battery life on mine has died over time, no longer making it portable but a convenient small desk dac/amp

May 18, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #6 of 9
I use my Mojo for work on my desk as the battery life on mine has died over time, no longer making it portable but a convenient small desk dac/amp
Is yours still in Warranty? Mine had a battery issue after a year and Chord (through a dealer) replaced it.

May 18, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #7 of 9
Is yours still in Warranty? Mine had a battery issue after a year and Chord (through a dealer) replaced it.
Nah I bought it second-hand with a few months left on the warranty. The battery then died a few months after the warranty expired.. very unfortunate. TT__TT
All in all still a great dac/amp just not portable for me any more

May 18, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #8 of 9
I had the sundara, with the BTR5 i would be near max volume from the 3.5mm. The sundaras sound much better from a more powerful amp. The BTR5 is very cool and handy device however! I still have mine

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back