Which Cans are best for Heavy Metal?
Feb 17, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #76 of 87
reading this thread makes me glad about wanting to get some dt880s

i listen too all types of metal

melodic death (early inflames - there new stuff isn't really melodic death hehe but still good, just not as good) at the gates, dark tranquility etc etc but also metal like iron maiden, and then music like black sabbath, led zeppelin, pink floyd and some prog metal like opeth, etc.

i wanna get some grados but i don't know if they will be comfy (no place to try it here) and i am pretty much 100% sure the dt880s will suit me well (love ad700s and hd555 for comfort).

Feb 17, 2008 at 9:27 AM Post #77 of 87
The thing I don't like about the DT-880's with metal is, that it reveals the flaws of badly recorded metal recordings too much. And seeing how most of my metal collection isn't recorded so well it doesn't make me a happy camper ): IMO my MS-2's were superior for metal because of the upfront vocals, too bad they were too uncomfortable.

Feb 17, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #78 of 87
What CDs are bad for you Caution? Hehe hope it doesn't make some of my cds **** :p

Also on that note, any amazing metal albums out there(recording and music
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Feb 17, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #79 of 87
Well a lot of my metal collection including the 4 Killswitch Engage Albums, Some Nightwish, Lamb of god, and In flames (I'm not too sure about Old inflames CD's though but I have them on order
smily_headphones1.gif
) are pretty badly recorded in my opinion. Some have super graininess, recessed vocals or overall they just sound like ass. Led Zeppelin sounds pretty bad as well, due to the fact their CD's were recorded so long ago.

If you listen to mostly metal I'd go for Grado's/Alessandro's Believe me people aren't lying when they say Grados/Alessandro's are meant for Rock/Metal, too bad they are so damn uncomfortable for me ):, heck even the DT-880's are uncomfortable because the cups are not deep enough for my ears, and I don't think my ears even stick out.

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #80 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thing I don't like about the DT-880's with metal is, that it reveals the flaws of badly recorded metal recordings too much. And seeing how most of my metal collection isn't recorded so well it doesn't make me a happy camper ): IMO my MS-2's were superior for metal because of the upfront vocals, too bad they were too uncomfortable.

You should try your DT880 with a tube amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #81 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well a lot of my metal collection including the 4 Killswitch Engage Albums, Some Nightwish, Lamb of god, and In flames (I'm not too sure about Old inflames CD's though but I have them on order
smily_headphones1.gif
) are pretty badly recorded in my opinion. Some have super graininess, recessed vocals or overall they just sound like ass. Led Zeppelin sounds pretty bad as well, due to the fact their CD's were recorded so long ago.

If you listen to mostly metal I'd go for Grado's/Alessandro's Believe me people aren't lying when they say Grados/Alessandro's are meant for Rock/Metal, too bad they are so damn uncomfortable for me ):, heck even the DT-880's are uncomfortable because the cups are not deep enough for my ears, and I don't think my ears even stick out.

Caution,

I completely agree. A good example I think was when I listened to the "Burn the Priest", I thought...wow, is this re-mastered...sound like $***, but then after I stopped being analytical about it and enjoyed the music it's just one k!ck-***** album. Underground metal is especially bad...since they don't have a lot of money to begin with - no 100K to record an album, like a mainstream pop album. The other thing is that sales for metal aren't that great...compared to mainstream genres of music. I used to have an independent indie label to help musicians 12 years ago....it's tough. You have to make do and be creative with super limited budgets. I know bands, that had really crap equipment...but they were great on stage and had tons of talent...could get you by playing live, but that definitely doesn't not translate into a good recording...just decent demos to promote their music.

With the Grado's - their ability to sound very good just through the headphone port on the portable, their slight coloration, quick attack and decay (my opinion) they are perfect. They make bad metal recordings come alive, they make it fun again to head bang...not too hard...lest the Grado's fall off...

The Grados also sound really good with older recordings...Jimi Hendrix sounded so alive, so did old Testament albums...another band where I felt their first few albums...really weren't recorded that well.

I'm glad I was open to the idea to trying on Grados' and giving the 325i a chance. I don't regret it one bit...and I have to thank Head-Fi for it. I'm listening to "As the Palaces Burn" and there is a big smile on my face, sounds so damn good.
biggrin.gif

I find them comfy...my ears do hurt after about 3 hours...but hey...it's not like I can't live with it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry for the long post....

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #82 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations with the SR325i.
It a nice pair of headphones, which hopefully will keep you pleased for a long time.

Thanks krmathis.

Feb 17, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #83 of 87
Good post guys. I don't notice many bad CDs(but some do sound awesome like pink floyd) because I used to listen to 192kpbs mp3's all the time, until I found my dad's collection of old prog rock and started buying CDs my self.

I'm still keen on the dt880s, can't try any of these headphones and I like the DT880 fit most likely, but I will buy a pair of Grados one day for sure.

Feb 17, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #84 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by rohanjd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just thought I'd give everyone an update. I finally settled on the SR325i's.

x3 Congratulations!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rohanjd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Went over to Bay Bloor radio and they were kind enough to let me audition the HD650s, SR325i's, and AKG K701(for comparision sake). I have a soft corner for the K701s...
biggrin.gif
Compared them to my usual list of reference tracks and after 2 hours, I felt the sound signiture of the SR325i's would make a nice addition to my collection.

This is key : IMO, the best way to find your true sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks to each & every member, for making this forum the best place in the world to learn & practice this art. Glad to be a participating member in your community.

You are very welcome!

Quote:

iWOW, I downloaded the demo, and tried it on:
3G Nano (running Apple Lossless Files)-->Tomahawk-->Cryo Dock-->SR325i

OT: How were you able to put this on the iPod?

Quote:

In a word, WOW!
The SR325's are completely new (& improved) headphones!
It's like the software "polished" the edges off each & every single note, from top to bottom, while opening up the dynamic range. VERY impressive!
Bass impact slams and is razor sharp, and the high frequencies are much sweeter, but still cut like a knife, with no loss of resolution whatsoever.

These guys at SRS Labs are serious dudes. They spun out of Hughes Aircraft in the mid-90's with a huge talent pool of audio signal processing engineers, DSP chip designers & a mountain of patents. They know how to do some serious magic with the 1's & 0's in an audio bit stream. Their stuff is on everything from cars to TVs these days - a large OEM / ODM business. Lucky for us, they released a version of their audio enhancer toolkit for iTunes & iPod.

All I can say, is that the synergy between iWOW and the SR325i's is absolutely astounding.

(Although, I'd love to see someone more experienced and more articulate in describing the nuances, give this iWOW / SR325i combo a listen and then comment).

Meanwhile, I'll just climb on my soap box and say: GO GET iWOW, if you have SR325i's & any iPod in your signal train.

x2; I downloaded the demo and was blown away (Pink Floyd, Time never sounded better), literally blown away! Nice find SH!

Feb 19, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #86 of 87
To get the benefit of SRS iWOW on the iPod iteself, just install, adjust the settings to your liking in iTunes, then sync your iPod - that's all there is too it.

PS: iPod EQ: in iTunes, select Equalizer from "Window" menu. Adjust as desired, then choose "Make Preset". Be sure to name your custom setting exactly like one of the pre-canned settings (e.g. Rock). iTunes will ask if you want to replace the original setting - say "Ok".
Your custom EQ setting will be activated on your iPod when you choose "Rock" from the iPod Settings / Equalizer menu. Try it!

Feb 19, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #87 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokenganjaclan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YO!!!! Hey man many thanks on the iwow headsup. My Denons have just Come ALIVE!!!!
biggrin.gif
If you can drop this into your ipod?, How????? Just using it in itunes...

My pleasure - glad to share.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back