Which Cans are best for Heavy Metal?
Feb 10, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #16 of 87
I haven't auditioned anything worth greater than $100, but Grados + Meshuggah = Bliss (IMO). The Grados I have, have a very fast bass response, and I think something better would have a more impactful bass, as the SR60's aren't bass monsters, but I've heard the SR225's are better at this.

Feb 10, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #17 of 87
Yesterday I have tried the album Deliverance from Opeth with my DT880 and the Little Dot MKIII amp and let me tell you that the sound was fantastic
eek.gif

I have also tried the album Lateralus from Tool and again WOW !

The combination of this amp and the DT880 is really good for Metal.

Cheers

Feb 10, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #18 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
650's for metal?? Ugh.. Too slow among other things IMO.. The SA5000 are perfect for metal IMO..

x2

I have found the following headphones good with metal due to their speed, detail and instrument separation. Of course, these are all imho and ymmv.

SA5000
DT990
D2000
PL2500

I don't like Grados for metal because they are uncomfortable for long listening sessions. And I really don't like Senns for metal because as kool bubba ice said, they are too slow. That's been my experience with the HD580 and HD650. Of course, I wasn't using a $1500 amp to drive the Senns.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #19 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
650's for metal?? Ugh.. Too slow among other things IMO.. The SA5000 are perfect for metal IMO..

Paired with a proper amplifier the Senns can do it.

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #20 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best you say?
The Stax 4070 handle Heavy Metal very well. Probably because its closed back and can handle a lot of voltage/power.

Where can you get the 4070's for the OP's budget price of $500?
wink.gif

Oh, btw, another vote for Grado's here.

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #21 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where can you get the 4070's for the OP's budget price of $500?
wink.gif

Ooops, I missed the line where he mentioned his $500 budget.

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #22 of 87
I'm a huge metal fan here. It's almost all I listen to. The phones I have are the DT990 and Ultrasone HFI-700, but I have also tried the HD650, HD280 Pro, Grado SR60, and Grado SR225. I find that people seem to like Grados for metal, and I can see why. They have a great sound for guitars that's really crunchy and fast, but I don't like their bass. Perhaps it has something to do with open headphones, but I just don't seem to be a fan of the way their bass sounds. Let me elaborate.

The first headphone I got when I started exploring hi-fi over a year ago was the DT990. I really liked how it sounded, but the bass was unsatisfying. Everyone on head-fi will tell you that the DT990 is a bass monster, but I don't feel the same way. At fist, I just though I must be a huge bass head, but I definitely don't think that's true anymore. You see, what I really just wanted and what, I think, is so important to metal is bass impact. You can probably tell by the name that it means the slam you get from a kick drum, or just the feeling you get of being punched in the chest by a powerful sub in a good speaker system. If you like metal, then you know what I mean.

If impact sounds like something you want a lot of, then the only headphone from my experience that I can recommend it the HFI-700. I'm listening to Godflesh on it right now. It has by far the best impact of the headphones I have tried. Also, the bass extends VERY deep. The problem I have with my DT990 is that, although there is a lot of bass, it mostly sits around the upper low end and lower midrange. The HFI-700 is a pretty balanced sounding headphone, which is why I was so shocked to hear how much bass it had (especially impact). The bass is pretty uniform across the spectrum, so raising volume does not make the mass in the upper low end and lower midrange overpower other frequencies, but it does bring out the phenomenal impact and bass extension.

My one problem with the Grados was their pretty anemic bass. They (SR225 and SR60) just could not get down low enough to hit those extra low notes that often come up in the music I like. For example, at the beginning of "Love?" by Strapping Young Lad, there is a very low explosive sound. Listening to this song on the Grados (or any of the other phones I listed, except the senns, which I have not had enough time with) was sort of like watching the low end happen, but not feeling it. I could tell the note was there and I knew that if I were listening to it on a nice speaker setup, I would be able to really feel it hit. The impact on the SR225 was decent, but nothing to write home about. It was definitely much stronger in highs and mids.

Okay, that was a really long post, so I'll wrap it up already. Just know what you like from your sound. If you want very good guitar sound and are willing to sacrifice bass for it, Grados are a very good choice. When I heard the HD650, it had some nice impact and sounded pretty good otherwise, but I only had a few minutes with them and, therefore, cannot tell you enough about them. I would not recommend you get the DT990s for metal, although I love them for other things (gaming sometimes) and they are soooooo comfy! You can probably guess that the HFI-700 is my favorite headphone right now, so obviously that's the one I will recommend. If you like impact and speaker-like bass extension as much as I do, then go for it!

Feb 10, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #23 of 87
Wow, very detailed there Mufto, you've made me start considering the HFI-700's as my next headphone, but one question, I know you say the impact is like that of a speaker, but is it fast like Grado's response to bass (i.e double bass drums)?

Feb 10, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #26 of 87
I prefer the DT 880 (2003) with Tarja, Nightwish, Sirenia and Xandria with impressive female vocals and the Grado SR-325i with guitar based metal like Iron maiden and Dream Theater ...

Feb 10, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #27 of 87
I love my DT770s for metal, it seems like Darths would be even better, bring out the mids a bit.

Feb 10, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #28 of 87
SR325i all the way, imo. The Beyers would be great too.

My best advice would be to listen to your headphones first, before you buy them. I know Mufto heavily recommended the Ultrasone HFI-700, but I have heard them and I personally don't really like them. But we are all different, and you might love them. So just try to listen first, then buy.

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #29 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, very detailed there Mufto, you've made me start considering the HFI-700's as my next headphone, but one question, I know you say the impact is like that of a speaker, but is it fast like Grado's response to bass (i.e double bass drums)?

If by fast you mean the bass hit of one drum has a discernible beginning and end that does not overflow into the next hit, then yes, they are fast.

compuryan's advice is good as well. I know some people don't like the S-Logic sound, but I suppose I do. Frankly, I don't notice much of a difference between S-Logic and normally placed drivers. I took to the sound right away.

If you want to test it out, just do what I did. Get a pair used here on Head-Fi to see if you like them. If you don't, sell them for what you got them for minus a little for the rental fee. That goes for any 'phone you might consider, not just the HFI-700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back