where's the headphone amp go? (amp recs wanted too!)
May 13, 2002 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

nately

100+ Head-Fier
Newbie alert!

I'm trying to figure out a way to add good sounding headphones to my setup at home. I have a modest system, Cambridge Audio C500 preamp to a P500 amp. I figure if I pull this off, I'll find myself doing at least 1/4 of my listening on headphones.

My first question is, at what point in my setup would I insert a headphone amp? It would come off the preamp somewhere so I can use the selector and phono stage. I don't particularly want to sacrifice my tape loop. The way I see it, my choices are:

1) There are two sets of line-out (for bi-amping). I could send the unused set to the headphone amp. Would the turned-off power amp or headphone amp affect the other when not in use? My impression is that connected in parallel, if one is turned off it won't draw the signal away from the other half at all.

2) I noticed in the specs for the Creek OBH-11 that you can insert it in between the preamp and amp. Since I don't have a high-end system anyway, the idea of an extra passive component (when I'm using speakers) doesn't really bother me, but why do it if I don't have to.

My second question is, given that the Creek (not the SE) is at the expensive end of my budget, I currently use Grado SR-80s, and portability is not an issue, what are some amps that you'd recommend? (I'm on a budget, but don't have a soldering iron and don't want a DIY... unless somebody wants to do it for me... DIFY? Anyway, I'm ramblin')

May 14, 2002 at 8:06 PM Post #2 of 3
Welcome to Head-Fi!!

First step: visit Headroom. They offer a wide range of amps including the Creek OBH-11 and their own Airhead, which are within your budget. You can also, on occasion, find headphone amps on E-Bay and Audiogon(just do a search for "Headphone") assuming that you aren't opposed to buying used gear. Alot of great deals can be found at Audiogon if you're patient. I'm sure you are aware that this site has a "Marketplace" too, which is another great place to look.

have fun, this can seem a little overwhelming at first, but the people that post here are very very helpful!!

tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

May 14, 2002 at 8:39 PM Post #3 of 3
Try contacting user member JMT, he makes some mighty fine amplifiers (they are DIY design, but he makes them for the rest of us who burn ourselves with soldering irons).

Usually you connect headphone amps to line outs... that's as far as I know...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back