Where to start on beginner record players / records?
Mar 29, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #17 of 20
My work in progress turntable. I just got a stand for it from Target, a marble top light stand. Perfect fit.

Waiting for a Denon DL-103Pro.

Waiting for a Consonance.

The JRDG Consonance deal did not worked out. So I just got a Bel Canto Pre2P for a phono preamp instead.

Bel Canto.jpg

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #20 of 20
I spent a while with a Thorens TD160, they can be had for a couple hundred on eBay. Though mine worked, the seller seemed to just throw it in a box and mail it to me. Also the problem with used turntables is there could always be an issue that a newer member may not figure out. For years I used Technics SL-1200s and they are maybe one of the strongest turntables you can find. There are also many modifications for the 1200s. About 8 years ago I found a good price on a VPI Scout and have been happy with it. Also adding a Denon 103 on soon.

Getting a phono preamp is a whole different issue and is maybe just as important as finding the right turntable or cartridge as far as end sound goes. I remember buying different ones and borrowing different phono-pre amps, being blown away how different each one sounded like. My first phono preamp with the VPI was an old Stanton pulled from an old radio station. While it was detailed I ended up getting the sound I was after with a Monolithic Sound PS-1 phono pre with power supply upgrade. Lucky too as it plays both moving magnet and moving coil cartridges. But it’s simply a process of flipping dip switches and listening till you get the setting right. Much of the time it’s a process of trial and error......plus sitting back and getting used to how a new phono pre sounds. Everyone is looking for more output, and most of the time the line level is never as robust as digital. Still the wonderful light from within character of vinyl has had audiophiles spellbound since it’s introduction into Hi/Fi.

One thing you may find is better turntables seem to get the needle down farther in the groove and show less surface artifacts. I was pleasantly surprised how quiet the VPI was in contrast to the Thorens turntable.

Still the number one difficulty for noobs is getting used to the surface noise in contrast to digital. It maybe takes two weeks for the brain to learn to filter out the slight pops and surface low end hum which is consistent with any vinyl set up regardless of cost. There will always be ground loop hum introduced too, regardless of quality of equipment. Many new folks simply have to take the time for their brain to learn to filter the noise out.

The process of determining correct speed, needle cartridge set-up as well as tracking and tone-arm weight setup is all part of the learning curve. Understanding cartridge placement is an art unto itself. There are complete books on the subject.

A great way to listen to vinyl was simply to get an older receiver as many from the 1970s had phono preamps. I just purchased a low cost Onkyo A-9010 which has a built in moving magnet phono preamp included. Though I never use it, so I can’t comment on the quality of it.

The process on listening to vinyl is just that a process. Finding the record, cleaning the record, placing the right side up. Putting on the record clamp. Lowering the needle. It’s all part of the fun. Then there is record acquiring, I don’t live anywhere near new vinyl stores, but it was great to find a place that sells new records about an hour away by jet. Getting really good old records has all the romance of a good fishing trip. The hunting instinct, the whole gold finding lust. It’s all part of the adventure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back