Where to Set Volume Pot - Powered Speakers
Aug 17, 2017 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cossix

Headphoneus Supremus
When setting up powered monitors, which is the best position for the power knob? I would assume somewhere below 75% and then control the volume from the pre-amp such as my Jotunheim running balanced pre-outs to the speakers. Any advice?

Aug 17, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 8
Depends on the speakers. If your manual has a recommended volume level, use it.

On my Yamaha HS7 speakers, I set the knob to "Level" per manual. It's probably the highest sensitivity without introducing clipping:

Capture.PNG

Aug 18, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #5 of 8
When setting up powered monitors, which is the best position for the power knob? I would assume somewhere below 75% and then control the volume from the pre-amp such as my Jotunheim running balanced pre-outs to the speakers. Any advice?

Very general way to set up the gain structure - set the speaker amp gain to minimum, set the main preamp to roughly 75%, then slowly raise the gain on one speaker until you hit distortion, then pull back a little. Set the gain on the other speaker to the same level. Set the relative gain for the tweeter channels as you prefer, but figure out the toe in angle first.

Note that if you are using a passive preamp and it doesn't get loud enough at max see if there are other settings on the speaker amp panel, like increasing input sensitivity.

Dec 31, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #7 of 8
I'm using Schiit Saga OG preamp. You can choose the SS Saga or the tube buffered Saga+. The Saga is more than enough to provide full volume to the HS7 at +4dB setting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back