Where to go?
Feb 27, 2009 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Poison Shroom

New Head-Fier
I'm looking at getting a portable amp for my AH-D2000s

I want to spend $150 or less.
I've read a little and the Tomahawk, Hornet and Pico seem to be very popular.
But, I'd like to spend a little less then those cost.

I'm searching around ebay now, and I found two amps that I have questions about.

For $160 is the "Carat Peridot Hi-Fi USB DAC & Headphone AMP" good?
USB input seems nice, and I believe I would use it, but I also found a Little Dot MK I for $110, and it seems to also be great.

For the price range, is getting DAC worth it now? I don't plan on getting any new equipment for a long time, until my D2000s die. Also, if I buy an amp, is buying a iPod DLO cable worth it? I would be willing to spend around $200 (not counting shipping) if you guys say it is :p

[Edit] By where to go I meant where else should I look/what at. I obviously forgot that as I rambled on.
Also, I'm thinking I want something with a 1/4 jack, at least for the headphones as I imagine that would make a decent difference.

Feb 28, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #2 of 7
>_<

Can someone move this to the portable forum please? thanks

So, after looking, I settled with a Nuforce Icon Mobile a line out cable for a total of $135 (and about $10 in shipping.)
I had a hard time looking for decent priced and made cables. (The one I found had a 6" copper cable and gold-plated jacks.)
Does anyone know a site selling a cable thats about an inch long in total and has a jack that bends or whatever so that I can put my iPhone right above the amp and the cable can run right down to the amp and not have to run down and out to be plugged in.

>_> Like the headphone jacks in this photo:
Icon-Mobile-with-earphones.gif

I found one cable that did it, but it was $70, which is much more then I want to pay for the cable.

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 7
Randy from brainsalad cables can make anything you want. I got some from him last year. They are very affordable and have an excellent material/build quality. You can search on the cable forums for some of his work.

Email him at brainsalad@brainsaladaudio.com and let him know what you want.

You can choose the length, color, flexibility, connectors, etc.

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #4 of 7
Did you order your mobile icon and line-out from the same place? if so where?

Mar 1, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 7
There isn't too many clear cut reviews (others seem too subjective) of this amp on the board. We would greatly apreciate it if you did a solid review on it (after burn-in that is)!

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kazsud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you order your mobile icon and line-out from the same place? if so where?

I was looking at eBay... I was more over looking to order through one site.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There isn't too many clear cut reviews (others seem too subjective) of this amp on the board. We would greatly apreciate it if you did a solid review on it (after burn-in that is)!

No prob, but due to having to get my laptop fixed, it will probably be two weeks or so until I can order it. On top of that, I need to return my AH-D2000s or at least try to get a partial refund so I can get them recabled (which would be better since I want a shorter cable.)

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #7 of 7
partial refund??? how are you going to do that?? and on what grounds? meaning you keep the item but they give you money back?? LOL the margin on D2000 is soooo small its not funny because the retail price has been eroded; so I dont like your chances there. there are several DIYers here that can make your cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back