where to buy 99% alcohol?
Feb 9, 2004 at 6:46 AM Post #31 of 35
blipblop,

Yeah, I didn't follow the line of my own reasoning far enough. Basically, as kelston said, the absence of water prevents oxidation. This is a good thing, especially in perpetually humid environments (like where I live
rolleyes.gif
) where the water may hang around for a while before evaporating.

D.

Feb 9, 2004 at 7:08 AM Post #32 of 35
If you can find a Drug Emporium, around home they have it, on the rest the highest I have seen is is 91% that IMO should be good enough...

Mar 8, 2004 at 3:21 AM Post #33 of 35
Mar 8, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #34 of 35
just wanted to say...
the fact that there is some methanol in your "almost pure" ethanol doesn't really have to do with the toxicity of it. a very common industrial operation is the binary distillation of methanol and ethanol. they have very close boiling points (relatively) so it takes a lot of equilibrium stages in a distillation column to get high purity ethanol. there will always be a little bit of methanol in there if it was in the starting feed.

so your ethanol has measurable quantities of methanol because it's cheaper to make it that way
biggrin.gif

less stages = smaller distillation column = less money to run

Mar 8, 2004 at 10:33 PM Post #35 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by loveheadphones
just wanted to say...
the fact that there is some methanol in your "almost pure" ethanol doesn't really have to do with the toxicity of it. a very common industrial operation is the binary distillation of methanol and ethanol. they have very close boiling points (relatively) so it takes a lot of equilibrium stages in a distillation column to get high purity ethanol. there will always be a little bit of methanol in there if it was in the starting feed.

so your ethanol has measurable quantities of methanol because it's cheaper to make it that way
biggrin.gif

less stages = smaller distillation column = less money to run

true, but technical grade lab ethanol is deliberately laced with methanol. Pretty much any industrially produced ethanol with have methanol as you can never acheive 100% seperation (of anything for that matter)

g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back