Those were out on CD in 1975?

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #107 of 118
1975:  First albums, all bought within about 2 weeks

Pink Floyd: Dark Side of Moon
Led Zeppelin:  Houses of the Holy
Kansas: Song For America
Black Sabbath: Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

You sir have great taste in music!

I think I said the first I bought on my own was Black Ice but now that I think about it more it was definitely earlier than that. But I am unsure as to whether it was Guns N Roses' or Queen's Greatest Hits that I got first.

Apr 12, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #110 of 118

Quote:
Quote:

Those were out on CD in 1975?

I have We Sold Our Soul For Rock N Roll from Sabbath with a date of 75 on it and Zeppelin IV from 71 so I assume all these would be.

No, no,  according to Wikipedia audio CDs and players only became commercially available in 1982. The date is from the original (i.e. analog) recording. At the start you'd see a lot of CDs with ADD  written on them, meaning analog original, digital remaster, digital copy. That's pretty much going to be  true for any reissue before a certain date.

Apr 12, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #111 of 118

No, no,  according to Wikipedia audio CDs and players only became commercially available in 1982. The date is from the original (i.e. analog) recording. At the start you'd see a lot of CDs with ADD  written on them, meaning analog original, digital remaster, digital copy. That's pretty much going to be  true for any reissue before a certain date.

Ok. I obviously didn't buy them so I can't attest to when they were purchased. Probably right, but interesting I have nothing on Back In Black (lost the Sabbath case, can't say anything about that one) other than Digitally Remastered. Nothing about a different date. Copyright and Publication dates for the CD are both 1980.

Apr 12, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #112 of 118

Quote:
Quote:

Ok. I obviously didn't buy them so I can't attest to when they were purchased. Probably right, but interesting I have nothing on Back In Black (lost the Sabbath case, can't say anything about that one) other than Digitally Remastered. Nothing about a different date. Copyright and Publication dates for the CD are both 1980.

I'm betting it refers to the material (audio) rather than the medium (CD or vinyl or even (god help us) eight-track).

Apr 12, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #114 of 118
Quote:Originally Posted by rroseperry 

"I'm betting it refers to the material (audio) rather than the medium (CD or vinyl or even (god help us) eight-track)."

I had 8 tracks. At the time I thought they were so cool. I was only a kid so I had an excuse. If I do remember correctly there were some 8 tracks that had the track listings of certain albums that were different or adjusted from the vinyl versions. I'm sure it was because of the 8 track medium itself. But I think it's interesting all the same.

Apr 12, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #115 of 118
I owned several CDs before getting a CD player, mainly because the albums started coming out in CD only.  I'm not really sure what I bought first, but one of the first was Frank Zappa's You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 1.

Apr 12, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #117 of 118
Please don't laugh.... even though I don't listen to rap or hip hop anymore, my first two CDs, bought with money earned by cleaning cars when I was 10 years old, where MC Hammer's "Hammer please don't hurt them" and the dayview album of Vanilla Ice...

Apr 13, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #118 of 118
My first CD's I bought were actually maxi-cd's. The first one was Eminem feat. Dido - Stan and the second one Avril Lavigne - Skater Boy ^^'
But my very first CD album was Meteora by Linkin Park =) Loved the album. After that I started to explore all CD's I could get for my pocket money :wink: lovely times :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back