What's the difference of a producer and a mixer?
Oct 9, 2003 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

marios_mar

Headphoneus Supremus
These things I have not too clear in my mind and I would like to know a focused answer on these two ?s

1.What is exactly the job of the producer in a few words?

2.Whats the difference between producer and mixer. Are usually producers mixers too?

thanks for taking time to answer

Oct 9, 2003 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 6
As I understand it, the producer is the guy who puts up the money and says "This is how I want it to sound," and the mixer is the guy behind the board who actually does it. These positions could, and often do, overlap.

Oct 10, 2003 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 6
The mixer is usually an engineer who twiddles the mixer's knobs.

The producer's job is much more vague. Take Steve Albini, for example. Yes, it does pretty much reduce to "I want it to sound like this", but there's much more to it than the old "fix it in the mix" attitude. Steve makes sure that the musicians are properly motivated to make the record in the first place, are prepared before they even go into the studio, have songs written, etc. So it's sort of a "providing vision" kind of job.

I don't mean to downplay the mixer's job. Sometimes they have to be mindreaders, trying to figure out what the producer and the musicians want (which sometimes conflict). "I want everything louder than everything else." is a classic (impossible) request. "I want you to make it go 'up' here..." What D L does "up" mean, in this case? Frequency? Volume? Neither? Energy? Faster?

Oct 10, 2003 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 6
The producer doesn’t usually put up the money – the record company does.

Generally, a producer is one part arranger and one part psychologist. Unlike an engineer, the job of a producer is not so much a technical one: the producer usually works with a tracking engineer to make sure the sounds get onto tape cleanly. Thus, a producer isn’t so much of a ‘knob-twister.’ In fact, I’d say a producer could be almost deaf and still do a good job as a producer. As Dusty said, the producer will make sure the band is performing well. If need be, the producer will give the band a little motivating ‘push.’ Also, the producer often acts as a go-between to the record company (the record company always seems to want to know what’s happening with all their money).

The job of audio mixer is a far more technical one. The mixer comes in and mixes the album months after the band finished tracking the album. The mixer, like the mastering engineer, works in relative isolation. The best mixer will have good ears and a familiarity of the most recent mixing techniques. OTOH, a mixer is somewhat like a arranger/producer in that he or she decides the loudness of the instruments in relation to each other, the amount of reverb and other effects added to the mix, and the placement of the instruments/effects in the soundstage. As I understand it, the mixer will often weed out some of the redundant recorded tracks (e.g., if the multi-track tape has 30 guitar tracks, a mixer might simply mute some of the redundant ones). Today, with hundreds of available tracks, ‘over-tracking’ can be a problem.

The final key to the puzzle is the mastering engineer. Most modern mastering engineers are totally deaf slaves of the record company. Almost all of them should be flogged.

Oct 10, 2003 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 6
The producer can ask for more cowbell, but the mixer can't.
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 10, 2003 at 9:34 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

The final key to the puzzle is the mastering engineer. Most modern mastering engineers are totally deaf slaves of the record company. Almost all of them should be flogged.

He he. Arenett-- will you name some names?
evil_smiley.gif
Whose name on the mastering credits do you dread most?
evil_smiley.gif

I always check the mastering credits when I buy a CD, just to see who is to thank or to blame.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back