What to do? I need advice
Jan 2, 2003 at 10:19 PM Post #16 of 19
I would go with the I-Pod. Cant believe I'm saying this but, I do love MP3 players even the overpriced. Any way the MP3 player is just going to give you more options to deal with. Downside to the I-Pod is the conversion software from what I hear there are some pretty large and frequent glitches. I imagine you already have your CD collection on your computer, so worry about losing your music is a mute point. You will lose the hours it takes to upload all the songs. But hey whats a few hours in the scheme of life. So go with an MP3 player notice I didn't say the I-Pod mind you but someting along the same lines. I honestly recommend the Nomad JB3, listening to mine right now and dang it sounds good. And for $120 bucks less I can deal with the size.

Jan 3, 2003 at 1:00 AM Post #17 of 19
I've never used an Ipod, but I would like to share how much I like my minidisc player. I have the bottom of the line sony MD player- MZ-N505. I usually record in the medium compression mode (LP2) and can store about 30 tracks on each minidisc (around 160 minutes). I find the LP2 mode a fairly decent sound quality and can easily live with it. Also, I have no problems with the Open MG jukebox software that comes with... Also, this Sony unit is now compatible with the RealOne software (can be downloaded free), so that's another option if you really hate the Open MG jukebox.

For the price of the IPOD, you can buy a MD player, a decent set of headphones, media, and batteries! You'll have to transfer all of your CD's onto your computer, but after they're transferred, then checking in and out songs onto the MD is very fast and will take about 10 minutes to create a 160 minute MD! Also, I've yet to change my batteries on my MD and I've had it for over a month (using it at least 2.5 hours a day Mon to Fri on both medium compression mode and 1/4 of the time, on no compression mode(best quality)). I can easily carry 1 extra AA battery and 1 extra MD, and a small portable amp.

Just my 2 cents!

Jan 3, 2003 at 3:08 AM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by fredpb
If your hard drive IPOD dies, so does your music. But if you loaded it from something else, you are ok. Just a lot of time needed to reload.

If you're using your HD-based MP3 player the way it's meant to be used, you have two copies of every song: one on your player, one on your computer's hard drive. (The one exception being if you have way more music than your player can hold -- rare -- and you manually update tracks instead of synching.)

So if your player's hard drive fails, you've got everything one your computer, and vice versa.

I've been a hard-core MiniDisc user for about five or six years. We've owned five portables and three home units, and we have about 120 MDs. For years I argued that MD was superior to MP3 players.

However, over the past year, hard drive sizes in MP3 players have increased dramatically, sizes have decreased, and sound quality has improved, so the argument's much harder to make now. We now also own a 20GB iPod and have tried a bunch of the other models out there.

I'd give MD the edge for these uses:
- Recording live events
- Intense exercise
- When VERY long battery life (>50 hours) is needed
- When you need the absolute smallest size (and are willing to sacrifice how MUCH music you can take with you)
- Highest sound quality (sorry, but a standard-speed MD copy sounds better than any MP3 I've yet heard)

I'd give the iPod (and other HD players) the edge for the following:
- You need a LOT of music
- Convenience (lots of music easily accessible)
- Overall music/size ratio.
- Overall cost (advantage increases the more music you want to have with you)

Quote:

I'mSparticus wrote:
Downside to the I-Pod is the conversion software from what I hear there are some pretty large and frequent glitches.

I've heard a couple minor complaints from some isolated incidents, but across the board it's flawless for most users. Those "glitches" are neither large nor frequent.

Quote:

I imagine you already have your CD collection on your computer, so worry about losing your music is a mute point. You will lose the hours it takes to upload all the songs. But hey whats a few hours in the scheme of life.

Actually, with the iPod it's a matter of minutes. It takes literally 30 seconds to download about 300 songs (I did that last night). In less than ten minutes you can fill the entire 20GB.

Jan 3, 2003 at 5:17 AM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Highest sound quality (sorry, but a standard-speed MD copy sounds better than any MP3 I've yet heard)

In my opinion, like other medias, it really depends on the playback device. I've heard some models (Sony) that really don't do the recording justice.

I still have my pmdp (MZR900), and like it a lot, But for me and my situation, the only advantage it gives me over my other equipment is size, and even now when I need to choose a player to use for it's size, I use the Ipod. If I don't need a size advantage, I use the NJB3 or the D-EJ1000.

If you have a good playback player and size is important to you, the PMDP is the way to go, but it also can be perceived as the most inconventient (as far as preparation of music). For my money with all the factors weighed (size, sound quality, ease of use and preparation) the Ipod or Zen is the way to go, with the Ipod being smaller than the Zen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back