What to buy: AV-710 or 1212m?
May 26, 2004 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Mr.Radar

Headphoneus Supremus
As you can see in my sig, my current setup is pretty bad. I've heard that the first thing on your upgrade list should be the source. My current source is pretty good quality audio files through my crappy onboard audio, so anything but an SB-Live! should be an upgrade for me. I've been looking at the Chaintech AV-710, which is very affordable to me and leaves plently upgrade headroom (which is both good and bad). For my current "destination", my Koss PortaPro 2's, it would seem to me that I woudn't need anything better than the Chaintech. However, my current problem is that lately I've been hearing that the EMU 1212m is the best thing since sliced bread and can't be passed up. It would however it would be a strech for me to get it even at the $165 Guitar Center price, and I don't think that I would be able to truely appreciate it until I get a nice pair of headphones, like the Grado SR-225's sometime next year (assuming I like the SR-60's I'm getting this summer). Like I just said, my next "desitination" upgrade will probably be sometime between now and my birthday (July 21st) and it'll most likely be a pair of Grado SR-60's. What should I do? Should I save some money now and get the Chaintech or should I go all-out and max out my soundcard with a huge (to me at least) hit to my wallet?

May 26, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 15
I would get the Chaintech and a cheap CMOY or MINT amp to go with your upcoming SR60's, that should hold you very well until you can afford to upgrade the whole rig. The Chaintech is the greatest value imaginable at only $22 shipped from newegg, and with those other two items you will have a very nice system for less than $140 total.

May 26, 2004 at 10:13 PM Post #3 of 15
I think it depends on what your long term goals are. Incremental upgrades are just going to waste money in the long run. Chaintech, CMOY, SR60 is feasible now as Iron_Dreamer recommended but I'm in the philosophy of getting a large upgrade. emu1212m, SR225, whatever amp you'd like. So if it were me, I'd wait and get the emu1212m later. It's not worth stretching your budget now.

May 27, 2004 at 5:51 AM Post #5 of 15
While I'm sure the Chaintech is the right choice for you at this time since the 1212m really would require you to get an amp to go with it which would really drive the cost up, let me assure you that the quality of the E-MU can even be appreciated with the SR60's.

May 27, 2004 at 3:30 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
let me assure you that the quality of the E-MU can even be appreciated with the SR60's.

I'm sure it can, I immediatly noticed the changes due to my mods on it whiel using my cr@ppy Aiwa cans
eek.gif

Aug 14, 2004 at 7:04 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

While I'm sure the Chaintech is the right choice for you at this time since the 1212m really would require you to get an amp to go with it which would really drive the cost up, let me assure you that the quality of the E-MU can even be appreciated with the SR60's.

Jasper, just curious why you say the 1212m would require an amp? Do you mean it would require an amp because not using one wouldn't bring out the best in the 1212m and the headphones it was mated with? Or do you mean it would require an amp for other reasons (i.e. it's underpowered, etc.)?

Aug 14, 2004 at 7:41 AM Post #9 of 15
i'll say just get av-710 for now. when you're ready with your new phone, the 1212m should cost somewhat less by then (assume at least six or eight months from now.)
just my 2 cents.
wink.gif

Aug 14, 2004 at 9:58 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
Jasper, just curious why you say the 1212m would require an amp? Do you mean it would require an amp because not using one wouldn't bring out the best in the 1212m and the headphones it was mated with? Or do you mean it would require an amp for other reasons (i.e. it's underpowered, etc.)?

I'm not sure I'm the person who said you "need" an amp, but having an amp makes things much easier/better. The 1212m is not configured to run headphones. You can make them do so, but you have to buy several adapters to do it and in the end, it's not the most elegant solution and you'll most likely end up with an amp anyway particularly if you're trying to get the most out of your HD580's. The Grado's will do well if you add an amp as well but not to the extent the 580's will. If you need something inexpensive that works well, you might try looking at a PreSonus HP4 like I have. It'll run low impedence headphones very well and high impedence headphones fairly well. I was truely impressed by the HD650's running off of it for example. If you've got good negotiation skills you can probably get it down into the $60-70 range at Guitar Center making it a particularly exceptional value. There are also several DIY amps that might work well here. If you get the PreSonus you get the added bonus of being able to keep the 1212m balanced by getting 1/4" to 1/4" TRS cables. This will lower your noise floor and allow you to make longer cable runs should you choose to do so down the line. Anyway, I hope this helps.

Aug 18, 2004 at 8:08 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

I'm not sure I'm the person who said you "need" an amp, but having an amp makes things much easier/better. The 1212m is not configured to run headphones. You can make them do so, but you have to buy several adapters to do it and in the end, it's not the most elegant solution and you'll most likely end up with an amp anyway particularly if you're trying to get the most out of your HD580's.

What does running headphones from the 1212M entail? I'm not sure what kind of jacks it has; I just assumed it had the standard sound card jacks that would accept a 1/8" plug, like an Audigy. Do the 1212M's outputs terminate in 1/4" or RCA jacks or something? Also, I'm guessing it doesn't have a dedicated headphone out--just lines in and out, correct?

I'm just trying to get an idea of what the 1212M requires to output its sound to headphones. I'm very interested in the card itself due to the sound quality, but if it's more hassle than it's worth...

Oh, and is the 0404 similar to the 1212M in that connecting headphones requires the same steps to be taken?

Aug 18, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #13 of 15
It uses two 1/4" outputs, left and right. You can see a detailed flash view at www.emu.com that lets you see all the inputs/outputs of the card.

i.e. with my HD 590, I would also need to buy two 1/4" mono male to RCA female adapters, and then a dual RCA male to stereo 1/4" or 1/8" female y-cable for it to work with the E-MU. Like Jasper said, if I were to buy it, I'd probably buy it along with an amp.

Aug 18, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by juni0r
It uses two 1/4" outputs, left and right. You can see a detailed flash view at www.emu.com that lets you see all the inputs/outputs of the card.

i.e. with my HD 590, I would also need to buy two 1/4" mono male to RCA female adapters, and then a dual RCA male to stereo 1/4" or 1/8" female y-cable for it to work with the E-MU. Like Jasper said, if I were to buy it, I'd probably buy it along with an amp.

Hmm, thanks. That is a lot of adapters. Some people think that the more adapters you use, the more sound quality/fidelity suffers. If that's true, then using all those adapters kind of contradicts the purpose of getting a better sound card, LOL!

Sounds like someone should make a dual 1/4" mono to 1/8" stereo adapter and start bringing in the dough from EMU users.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back