What surround headset should I get? Astro A40 2013 or PC 360 - Get the MixAmp, a Sound Card, or Both?
Oct 20, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #32 of 41
Congratulations on the new headphones. With your new sound card, you ought to be set with your headphone rig...for a while. 

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #34 of 41
That looks fine. For music, I would recommend turning surround sound off and just leaving it at stereo.

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #35 of 41
  Are these settings correct? I have it at Normal Gain.
Under Speaker Properties if I increase the sample rate then I think it overrides the Xonar driver, because when I did that the Dolby Headphone didn't work.

I would say to set the sample rate lower then 192Khz, I would think 44.1Khz or 48Khz would be fine for gaming, I usually just leave my at 96Khz.

Oct 22, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #37 of 41
  What would be the benefit of lowering it?

I'm guessing when you set the sample rate lower, it focuses the DAC on the job it's trying to do.

Oct 22, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #39 of 41

I'm guessing when you set the sample rate lower, it focuses the DAC on the job it's trying to do.

Sorry. That's just not true. I don't mean to sound condescending (though I do), but the sample rate at which a DAC is set to operate has no impact on the final product. The chip does not "work harder" with higher samples--it just "does."

Oct 22, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #40 of 41
  Sorry. That's just not true. I don't mean to sound condescending (though I do), but the sample rate at which a DAC is set to operate has no impact on the final product. The chip does not "work harder" with higher samples--it just "does."

I'm not an expert on DACs so I was only guessing.
But why does a computer give the option of changing the sample rate and not automayically default to the highest sample rate?

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #41 of 41
The options are available so that one can scale the level of work needed to be done by the CPU to push out audio. With the cheapest and crappiest computers out there, the dedication of what would be an insignificant amount of processing power for normal PCs can make or break the user experience.

TL; DR: The options are there to help the CPU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back