What situations do you use wired IE's like Sennheiser ID 600 or 900?
Dec 16, 2023 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Revelation Sound

Head-Fier
This may seem like a dumb question but here me out. At home when I am listening to music through a stereo, I prefer open backed headphones like Focal Clear MG's. When I am on the go, I use my B&W PX8 wireless noise canceling headphones.

Most smart phones don't have an audio jack anymore, so to add a converter adaptor seems to be a hassle plus they are not noise cancelling. Sitting by a stereo or computer where you plug into headphones, usually higher end full sized headphones with larger speakers with the option of open or closed back seem to be a better option for IE's.

So when would you want to use wired IE's? I can see wireless ones being helpful when you exercise as you don't want bulky headphones on. So I am trying to understand what situation would you want to use wired IE's.

Dec 17, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 14
This may seem like a dumb question but here me out. At home when I am listening to music through a stereo, I prefer open backed headphones like Focal Clear MG's. When I am on the go, I use my B&W PX8 wireless noise canceling headphones.

Most smart phones don't have an audio jack anymore, so to add a converter adaptor seems to be a hassle plus they are not noise cancelling. Sitting by a stereo or computer where you plug into headphones, usually higher end full sized headphones with larger speakers with the option of open or closed back seem to be a better option for IE's.

So when would you want to use wired IE's? I can see wireless ones being helpful when you exercise as you don't want bulky headphones on. So I am trying to understand what situation would you want to use wired IE's.

I do stage monitoring weekly, and wired IEMs are my go to, for the improved isolation compared to headphones.

And they generally sound better than non-wired IEMs, but the bluetooth has latency issues which is not ideal in a concert setting where you need the sonic fidelity to be flawless.

Plus when travelling, yes I also use wired IEMs for passive isolation.

Dec 17, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 14
I use wired iems when traveling. Passive isolation with the right tips is enough to block out most of a plane engine and they sound better than wireless. Versus full sized anc, they're also much smaller and I don't need the extra bulk along with everything else I carry.

Dec 17, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #4 of 14
Every situation. Working out, mowing the lawn, taking the dogs for a walk, in the back of an Uber, while fighting evil David Hasselhoff clones in space, on the couch, at my desk, in bed as I fall asleep, while playing games, with my phone, with my DAP, with my dongle, with my DAC, with my (Steam)Deck, etc.

I like IEMs. They spark joy or something.

Dec 17, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #5 of 14
I use them all the time, much more convenient than my full size HPs. I use a LG V50, so I still have a 3.5mm port, and I'm not buying a phone without one.
Every situation. Working out, mowing the lawn, taking the dogs for a walk, in the back of an Uber, while fighting evil David Hasselhoff clones in space, on the couch, at my desk, in bed as I fall asleep, while playing games, with my phone, with my DAP, with my dongle, with my DAC, with my (Steam)Deck, etc.

What are those hasselhoff clones wielding in space?

Dec 17, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #6 of 14
Dec 17, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #7 of 14

For the sound of revelation.
In a busy city - I'm in Sydney, Australia - wireless iems are useless in anywhere with a crowd, trains stations, concourses, food courts, etc. The interference just renders any bluetooth listening a stop start method. Now given our summers tend to run to 90 degrees, headphones become impractical, pretty much a sauna on your ears. Best solution -wired iems. The other reason and this applies more to my starting pun, is that they just sound better. Dollar for dollar a wired iem will almost always sound better than its wireless equivalent, assuming of course you're feeding it a reasonable signal, like a DAP or a decent dongle. Sometimes perceived convenience can be readily sacrificed for an easily recognised improvement in quality.

Dec 17, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #8 of 14
I use the 7hz Salmotes Zero:2 at home and travelling. Wired are a little more cumbersome, but it's better than having one more thing to keep charged. For a laptop bag they're great since always ready to go. Also I have a Moto G Power phone with an FM tuner and need wired, since they work as the antenna.
I'll take wired IEMs and noise isolation over noise cancelling. I've had the PX7 Carbon and they're really great though. The first time they charged in 13 minutes I couldn't believe it, and the auto on/off is really cool too.

Dec 18, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #9 of 14

How good is the quality of you Steam Deck DAC? Have you compared it to the Bathys or PX8 N/C headphones? Is it a burden in your pocket with the D/A pushing against your pocket inside a jacket or pants pocket? I was looking at the Audioquest Dragonfly Red or Colbert

Dec 18, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #10 of 14
I do stage monitoring weekly, and wired IEMs are my go to, for the improved isolation compared to headphones.

And they generally sound better than non-wired IEMs, but the bluetooth has latency issues which is not ideal in a concert setting where you need the sonic fidelity to be flawless.

Plus when travelling, yes I also use wired IEMs for passive isolation.
I use Shure 535's when playing in a worship band. I agree wired is better than non wired IEM's.

Apr 26, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #14 of 14
Well I use them at work now. I went from using my b&w px7 s2 at work to bringing my Schiit Asgard and Audioquest dragonfly (before it crapped out) to the office.

One day I decided to bring out my Mee Audio Pinnacle P1 and fiio Q1 and just really enjoyed the sound. So I switched to IEMs at work. Less space, but still a very enjoyable sound
I use the Fiio FH3 and iFi Go Link at work. Sounds excellent!! Now I find myself reading more about the different IEMs out there and researching the next pair

Users who are viewing this thread

Back