What music do you play for your children?
Dec 4, 2002 at 11:35 PM Post #17 of 28
How about the Beatles? Not that i have any kids yet, but i'm pretty much gonna start them with the Beatles and many other early pop/rock bands.

Dec 5, 2002 at 3:38 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
How about the Beatles? Not that i have any kids yet, but i'm pretty much gonna start them with the Beatles and many other early pop/rock bands.

That makes since. I first heard the Beatles while watching the Bozo Show growing up. They'd play I wanna hold your hand and some of the other early songs during the "15 seconds of fame" shots of the kids in the audience. I think they played some Buddy Holly stuff, too.

Dec 5, 2002 at 5:45 AM Post #19 of 28
I heard all of the Beatles singles before hearing one of their more mature albums in its entirety and swore them off for years... I still can't listen to the entire beatles 1 cd without getting sick although I love rubber soul through abbey road.

Dec 14, 2002 at 6:01 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
Now, my older son (16) is into metal. He attended his very first live concert Friday and saw Korn, Disturbed, and another band who I cannot remember. He also likes Led Zepplin, old Metallica, Project 86 and some others.

Don't worry those bands are NOT metal. Maybe when he gets older he will want more mature music.

When I was just a little boy, I enjoyed, Metal, Classical, and Opera, well Wagner anyway. Now as an adult I listen to Metal, Classical, and Opera, well Wagner anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2002 at 6:10 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Don't worry those bands are NOT metal. Maybe when he gets older he will want more mature music.

When I was just a little boy, I enjoyed, Metal, Classical, and Opera, well Wagner anyway. Now as an adult I listen to Metal, Classical, and Opera, well Wagner anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's pop-metal anyway... just wait until he starts listening to AxCx, Napalm Death, Pig Destroyer, Cattle Decapitation, etc.

Dec 14, 2002 at 6:33 AM Post #24 of 28
My 4 year old daughter and 18 month old son both like veggie tales, but thankfully, the wiggles freak them out. They seem to prefer their mother's music, top 40 and some hip-hop. They like simple beats. Eminem gets them dancing pretty quickly. I played Bad Brains, and they kind of ran around really fast, then didn't know what to do. DJ Spooky really confuses them. I'm really learning to hate that 'Kids Bop' spot - I don't like to see the kids bustin' a move to "Who let the Dogs Out?"

oh - my daughter's idol is Gwen Stefani!

Dec 16, 2002 at 9:05 AM Post #27 of 28
Well, I don't exactly have children of my own, but I remember when I was a really little kid (about 2 years old) I loved Elvis. I'd air-guitar and try to sing along. I think there's some videotapes of me doing this somewhere... hopefully lost for good...

Then when I was 7 or 8, I started to love U2. That lasted a while, and I still have residual symptoms.

Then when I was 10 my sister bought a "Rave Till Dawn" tape (the one with that Apotheosis track on it...) and I fell in love with it. I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Then when I was eleven or twelve I bought Nine Inch Nails' "The Downward Spiral" (the first album I had ever owned) ... then I discovered the internet ... then it all went downhill from there.
rolleyes.gif

I'm now to the point where I can walk into Amoeba Records in San Francisco (largest record story in the USA, and probably the world) and not find anything I like because it's too damn obscure. The question is: Should I be proud, saddened, or reviled?
wink.gif
Thank god for mailorder....

- Chris

Dec 18, 2002 at 3:13 AM Post #28 of 28
Feed them whatever they want but expose them to a wide variety... just like food.

My son used to go crazy (when he was around age 6 months) when we'd sing oldies (Splish Splash, Johnny Be Good, Charlie Brown, etc.).

The added benefit of kids getting into music? Seeing them dance! Major entertainment for all involved. And, right now, my son doesn't realize that:

a.) he takes after his old man in this area;
b.) like his old man, he's got NO rhythm!

Ah, the joy and naivete' of youth...

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

Back