What is under your table?
Jul 27, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by 883dave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just looked up the TNT feet, nice?

Did you notice a change?

Yes, they are very nice. The base section is quite substantial, with three little ball bearings to stabilize the contact with the surface they sit on. The interface between these base cones and the plinth appears to be a Sorbothane insulator like this stud mount version. The VPI ends up kind of floating in suspension. I've never seen a TNT, but my guess is these are the exact same feet, based on how they describe them.

I'd say there is certainly a reduction of low end vibration making back to the plinth, and the imaging appears to be better defined. Unfortunately, with an upgrade like this, it is hard to do A/B demoing, so you have to go with memory of what you think it sounded like before the change. These things are pretty hard to prove without test equipment, but I have to assume that VPI has done this.

I did not regret making the change.

Jul 27, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #18 of 22
40# pink Italian marble slab (
biggrin.gif
) on top of a Sonus audio rack with hollow vertical legs filled with 80# of graphited #5 lead shot all spiked through to the concrete slab under the flooring. Can you say "mechanical damping"?
eek.gif

Jul 27, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimJo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, they are very nice. The base section is quite substantial, with three little ball bearings to stabilize the contact with the surface they sit on. The interface between these base cones and the plinth appears to be a Sorbothane insulator like this stud mount version. The VPI ends up kind of floating in suspension. I've never seen a TNT, but my guess is these are the exact same feet, based on how they describe them.

I'd say there is certainly a reduction of low end vibration making back to the plinth, and the imaging appears to be better defined. Unfortunately, with an upgrade like this, it is hard to do A/B demoing, so you have to go with memory of what you think it sounded like before the change. These things are pretty hard to prove without test equipment, but I have to assume that VPI has done this.

I did not regret making the change.

From what I have read the VPI feet sound like a good upgrade.
I am also unable to do A/B testing...can do it, but a real pain. Measurements are nice, but I trust what I hear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
40# pink Italian marble slab (
biggrin.gif
) on top of a Sonus audio rack with hollow vertical legs filled with 80# of graphited #5 lead shot all spiked through to the concrete slab under the flooring. Can you say "mechanical damping"?
eek.gif

Yes "Mechanical Damping", also Mass Damping. I imagine the pink Italian marble gives "WAF"

How high is your table from the ground?

Jul 27, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #21 of 22
I am considering having a SRA VR Isobase made for my 'table; anybody have experience with this base or other SRA products? Any other alternatives I should be looking at?

Aug 6, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #22 of 22
I use a Gingko Audio Cloud 11 Isolation platform, which works WONDERFULLY - completely decouples the turntable from the shelf and the floor. I can STOMP on the floor right by the turntable and have no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back