What is Flat, Neutral and Warm?
Jan 17, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
Hi, I'm a noobie and I hear people saying these words and I don't know what they mean in terms of audio?

Neutral means that the devices does not add or take anything away from the signal it is fed. For instance a neutral CD player perfectly extracts the data from the disc perfectly converts the digital stream to a continuous analog waveform that does not add (audible) noise or distortion and does not alter the frequency response i.e does not roll-off frequencies at either end, does not boost or cut any range of frequencies in-between and does not add any other artifacts or changes to the signal supplied. A neutral amplifier just adds gain.

Warm  = broken

Caution you'll find people throwing around terms like warm as if they are positive attributes, also you'll find people describing as warm components that are neutral. A component that is GENUINELY warm normally has some kind of lower frequency emphasis or excessive attenuation of high frequencies , or as I said earlier broken (possibly faulty...... being generous !)

Jan 21, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 7
Quantitatively speaking its meaningless unless the individual making the comment states a reference point of some sort.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #7 of 7
When a piece of equipment passes the signal along without altering the frequency response balance, it's said to be neutral. Most amps, DAPs and CD players are neutral. Most headphones and speakers are not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back