What is a very good 42" Plasma TV
Jun 30, 2006 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

LTUCCI1924

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a almost new 30" samsung crt flat screen slim TV. I am thinking of buying a 42" Plasma TV. I sit about 7-8 feet away from the TV. Would this be ok for a 42" TV. I just would like a bigger TV. What is a real good 42" Plasma TV? I watch my TV hours on end day and night. This is why I am thinking of going bigger.

Jun 30, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #2 of 11
The Hitachi 42HDT52 is an amazing plasma, the best I've seen in looking at HDTV's. It was CAD$5000 last year, so it should be not so expensive now. It really is quite stunning, and I really don't like the way plasmas present images, so seeing this tv forced me to change my views on this type of display.

Also, be sure to visit http://www.avforums.com, and http://www.avsforum.com/, two excellent forums with plenty of real experts in this area.

Jun 30, 2006 at 12:43 PM Post #5 of 11
Check out the Pioneer Elite and Fujitsu models - great looking tvs.

However, the Sony SXRD models look even better, in my opinion, and are also cheaper. If you don't have to have a flat panel display, you should definitely give these a look.

Jun 30, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #6 of 11
I hope you have airconditioning.
My Samsung 42" plasma puts out a lot of heat, and uses twice the electricity my old 32" tube TV did.
I don't know what other plasma sets do, but mine has a lot of digital noise to color shaded parts of older TV shows. I love it on HD TV stuff, but normal TV can be either okay or horrible. I have DirecTV, and I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. But I have pretty much given up on watching shows like Andy Griffith, Perry Mason and that sort of thing. Some times they will look okay, and most of the time it's just a digitized picture with blocks in all the shadows. I wish I had bought the Sony LCD instead.

Jun 30, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen
This is pretty much the same distance I sit from my 42" plasma. I have a Panasonic PX60U and I'm extremely happy with it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1134703131623

I recently bought the Panasonic TH-42PX60U 42" Plasma TV. I spent a lot of time looking at different models and the Panasonic provides great quality compared to other panels. DVDs and HDTV look incredible, and Standard TV looks decent to very good depending on the signal quality.

I would also look at the Hitachi model which is fairly new:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1142293092238

Keep in mind that the closer you are to the screen, the more picture artifacts are apparent. This matters mostly with SDTV since HDTV should look crystal clear at the distances you are talking about. 7-8 Feet should be fine for a 42" TV, but poor quality SD channels will look rough.

BTW, that samsung 30" CRT looked like it had a great quality picture when I saw it at the store.

Jun 30, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #8 of 11
Go commercial and grab the Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK. It is basically just a display. They use them in the media business usually.

Jun 30, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
Go commercial and grab the Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK. It is basically just a display. They use them in the media business usually.

Just be aware that the commercial model doesn't have a TV tuner so you'll need a set top box from the cable company. Also, the HDMI input card is purchased separately and will add another $150 or so, if they are still available. Finally, the commercial display has more user controls for tuning the display but the plasma panel is the same as the consumer one. The 9th generation commercial plasma models are coming out soon, whereas the current consumer model already has the 9th generation panel.

To me it doesn't really make sense to go with the commercial one since it doesn't save you any money over the consumer model.

Jun 30, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen
This is pretty much the same distance I sit from my 42" plasma. I have a Panasonic PX60U and I'm extremely happy with it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1134703131623

i concur. i think panny has the best plasma value for the money. excellent quality with reasonable prices.

i also agree to go with consumer model versus commercial... unless you never use the tv's built-in speakers and you don't need a built-in tuner.

Jan 15, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #11 of 11
Interesting thread guys.

I have a Samsung 42 inch plasma TV and I think it’s great. I bought it about 6 years ago when plasma technology was discontinued and the store sold it to me for a cheap discount. So I own one of the last plasma TVs.....Kind of like a collectors item in a way

But it’s great for movies in a small cozy room. For a living room, I would go with at least a 65 inch TV.....one of those newer models

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back