What is a "audiophile" track?
Dec 23, 2022 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Powermankw

500+ Head-Fier
What makes an audiophile track a audiophile track? I have mine. Tracks that are really clear, that you can hear all the instruments. Where you can hear the space if it is recorded in a live space. That really speaks to resolution. But what else?

If it's production value, how do I know? There is different mic placement/methods. OK. What the heck is so special about the White Album?

My point is.... I have my favs. Tracks I know, demo tracks, really good tracks to show how good your system is. And a lot of those came from audiophile lists... But invariably there are a lot on those lists or that people will say that... Why. If it's just a favorite song, cool. It just got me thinking... What make an audiophile track an audiophile track?

OK... Go...

Dec 24, 2022 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 11
Technical chops. Then music.

This order.

But when is it possible to get these two aspects fully merged... 🥰🥰🥰🫰👍

Happy Xmas. 😎😉

Dec 24, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #3 of 11
What makes an audiophile track a audiophile track? I have mine. Tracks that are really clear, that you can hear all the instruments. Where you can hear the space if it is recorded in a live space. That really speaks to resolution. But what else?

If it's production value, how do I know? There is different mic placement/methods. OK. What the heck is so special about the White Album?

My point is.... I have my favs. Tracks I know, demo tracks, really good tracks to show how good your system is. And a lot of those came from audiophile lists... But invariably there are a lot on those lists or that people will say that... Why. If it's just a favorite song, cool. It just got me thinking... What make an audiophile track an audiophile track?

OK... Go...
Its funny ending with “OK Go” when that is an example of an album that I bought due to expecting exceptional engineering +/- recording quality too ..

Yes, albums have a range of factors that goes into their ‘whole’ and the TOTAL cannot be more than the sum of its’ parts.
Each aspect contributes significantly as to how much the replay will potentially get in ‘closeness’ (the closest approximity to the source WE can muster :) ), and certain signs can point towards ‘potential winner’.

I started my CD journey in the ‘eighties believing that DDD discs would have to be the best (ie Eric Claptons Unplugged), but found a range of ‘reference recordings’ using a range of methods in the ‘mastering processing’, DAD discs and ADD discs also seemed to standout well as ‘better than average’ more often than not.. (artists ranging from Crowded House to Michael Jackson, Suzanne Vega but often live shows and certain classical labels.and .. many artists who seemed to be doing their darned best to push cutting edge tech or use ‘the best’…)

After awhile I realised that the trick was to look at the studio or location it was recorded at ‘in the liner notes’.,
and of course ‘who was involved with the project’;

labels… blue note and nothing records seemed to push out ‘nice stuff always’ (certainly with ‘Trent/NIN stuff where engineering excellence was par for the course)

then somewhere along the way I heard amazing stuff from nearly 100 years ago.. (eighty years ago, certainly), and realised there is so much that contributes to what are the masters from which we get our sauce.

Crazily when CDs were first released, sometimes they were on Gold media, and the better reflectivity that gave ALWAYS made those discs stand out when playing back.. (and sometimes would make an ‘broken car stereo system, that “no longer reads CDs”, magically just work.(for the Gold disc they seem to do ‘alright’)), I generally kept my gold discs together in the collection they really stood out ‘THAT MUCH’.

Fortunately with todays market, and CDs fighting to be relevant, I seem to pickup a lot of Gold discs over the last couple of years.. so that is really terrific news for anyone starting out on a CD collection (in a streaming world that must seem mad to many).
Some other physical attributes known for improving reflectivity was generally ‘painted discs’, and I always like a heavy CD, over a light weight version.. (Like Vinyl I guess)..
Midnight print runs when all the other machinery is turned off at the fabrication plant is a thing; I have a few discs that are ‘magic pressings’ and I just wish I was more into the music on them (the discs sound amazing)..
I picked up a CD burner that writes CDs at a level similar to ‘pro mastering’ and using 80-90-minute blank media might allow a copy of a 74min or 78min disc.. (but was great for Travelling Wilburys Disc 2 that was at the Southern Cross University Library and available for loan, and certainly tonnes of old school artists who are happy to give us a vinyls’ length recording..)

When I come across discs that stand out, I like to put them in the reference recording CD rack.
A few gems to share-
(I thank my child for getting me into ) Gotye. both albums- brilliant; although “State of the Art” (song) is great for system testing in very obvious ways, “Thankyou for Holding” or whatever the track is called, (approx five tracks in on Making Mirrors), BRILLIANT!!, and an ‘non audio GF’ said “Distinctive Sound” is ‘da bomb’)
T J Eckleberg - Superhydrated (studio 301 sydney, which always seemed to be great stuff)
I’m a Parsons (Alan Parsons/Alan Parsons Project) fan and I had the joyous pleasure of discovering that the latest album “the Magician”(?) is one of the best reference CDs I have ever had the pleasure to find.
floyd, famously for Dark Side of the Moon (DSOTM), but I used ‘a momentary lapse of reason’ as an early spin ‘reference disc’ whenever setting up systems.. (the opening track has an incredible soundstage for making sure speakers are doing their task convincingly)
Supertramp “Some Things Never Change” is an HDCD, and ALL HDCDs are special, but some of them you actually want to listen to, too.. (Tool - Lateralis/City of Angels soundtrack/Andrew Birds Bowl of Fire/may even be a Diana Krall disc or two too, although Neil Diamond famously pushes using bleeding edge stuff,,.. Neil,.. Neil.. hmm hope that’s right!?)
Mika - fun album, but an amazing recording..
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me (and others)
1 Giant Leap - (all works)
Janet/Madonna/Aguilera and (Paula) Abdul
Nirvana Unplugged
Steely Dan (probably famously so) as well as Eagles -Hell Freezes Over..

arrgh now I am just trying to create a ‘biggish list’ sort of like ‘something for everybody’ (another great album).

Dec 24, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #4 of 11
And I guess that is my true problem... I have no clue. I'm not a musical, and I know nothing about production. I listen to what others suggest as best. Lots of chesky stuff... Never cared for Steely Dan but no denying they sound great on a good system. And try to learn from that. But yes, some stuff goes over my head.

Like live recordings. That is interesting to hear perspective, how it's mic'ed, the space. I can start getting that.... But then studio... Ehhh. Tracks over tracks, not really played together. I can understand there is an art to it, but I understand it less.

Which leaves me with clean. Resolution, dynamics, timbre. So like one of the all time greats... Dark Side OTM. I don't get it. One, I like Floyd, but not really that Floyd. With electronic music, harder for me to get and it's down to production. It's one thing for musicians to play, it's another thing what is done to manipulate it in black boxes.

Dec 24, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #5 of 11
Technical chops. Then music.

This order.

But when is it possible to get these two aspects fully merged... 🥰🥰🥰🫰👍

Happy Xmas. 😎😉

I'll listen to that later today...

And that... You are not wrong. It is all about the music. We all can get talent, and we all understand music that moves us for what ever reason. I have my 3 favorite guitar solos ever. They all happen to be live even though I don't particularly care for live records.... I have listened 1000s of times, litterally,
over decades.... If they come on shuffle, I can't ever hear them once without playing 2-3-4 times... Just because.

However... Another list.... Tidal "ultimate B&W demo play list". Amazing list actually. Lots of stuff I've never heard that sounds amazing. Another fav on many lists... Miles Davis Bitches Brew... What ever the 30min song... I try, and I try, and I try... Nope, just no. Legend, legendary... Don't like it, don't get it, just can't.

So ya, some stuff absolutely makes lists, doesn't mean we "like/enjoy" all of it. If it doesn't move is, it doesn't move us.

Dec 24, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #6 of 11
Audiophile tracks are tracks I listen to them with a dual headphone systems:
A hd800s drives by hdvd800 (feed via usb line by sp1000 dap) at a distance of 0.6m infront of me.
And, the 2nd headphone are Kaldas rr1, on my ears, drives by Stax007tA.
Volume share 50-50.

I think this kind of using may wonder you guys, if you have never tried.

Dec 24, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #7 of 11
What its not - strictly speaking:

Stuff you like: Like when I was a teen: Who's Next, Pink Floyd, Yes, Led Zep II, etc. Some of Yes and Floyd are reference for studio work of very amplified music.

Music that's very processed such as Cocteau Twins, Agnes Obel, bass boosted EDM

++++++++++++++++++++++

So what's left? For real reference stuff - acoustic music in a very good/excellent hall, with minimal miking, and minimal studio work. The first truly great recordings would be with 3 ribbon mikes, in a great hall such as Boston Symphony Hall - Shaded Dog RCA's, 15 ips. Later, Doug Sax I will call out as a wizard that produced literally thousands of natural recordings using analog and digital tools that have the ring of authenticity.

It helps to be exposed to lots of acoustic music. It helps to have heard these artists in a live setting - even lightly amplified stuff. But Stadium bands? Not so much. While the memory of music heard can be spotty in the extreme, the emotional reaction I feel when I hear proper timbre and thrust of music occurs when I hear such recordings. I get a more visceral reaction listening to say "Quadrophenia" sides 1, 2, 4, and one cut on 3, and if the playback chain sucks its easy to hear, but, one good system vs another or a HE-6 SE vs a 6 SE v2? Best pull out the big time recordings.

It takes time to build up a collection. TAS and Stereophile did provide a good set of lists over time. Friends, places like these, and your own searching. It's a process.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #8 of 11
Yes, that pretty much says what I am trying to. Anything amplified. Lots of stuff sounds great, but it is already electronic that is further manipulated more electronically. It can sound great, just not the same as acoustic. Especially recorded live that is a point source in space. I love hearing drums in anything because they are acoustic instruments always.

So ya, acoustic verses amplified/electronic. I am going to listen to more live music. Went to the Nutcracker just to hear the orchestra. Looking for other shows. Bella Fleck is coming around might go with a friend.

Dec 25, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #9 of 11
Try M.A. Recordings.

Awesome technically and musically.

No compression, no eq, no mix, no mixing console, 2 mics mainly, direct to recorder, high end cables and gears ... Natural acoustics too. 🫰🥰👍

Dec 25, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #10 of 11
nvm

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #11 of 11
Try M.A. Recordings.

Awesome technically and musically.

No compression, no eq, no mix, no mixing console, 2 mics mainly, direct to recorder, high end cables and gears ... Natural acoustics too. 🫰🥰👍
I will!

The good thing is that I have searched out better recordings and of course been turned onto stuff I normally would not listen to but appriciate it for just being good. I've found out that jazz is like rock & roll.... It's a really huge genre with lots of types that fit in. I do like some which is a lot more than before. Just not all.

But back to the real topic. I have a lot of the Chesky stuff that explains what you should listen for and the comparison tracks of how things are recorded produced different. That's really helpful. I think I have looked at the Stereophile lists. Google any lists... And there are a lot universally agreed on which I have listened to. And just like that... Some are appearantly why, some not some much... Like DSOTM and the White Album. If things make a list from really good production or engineering, that isn't so appearant to the lay person... Me. I went over to gearspace for acoustic treatment info.... Between that and production... That's a whole other rabbit hole I don't think I have enough time left in my life for. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back