[what? how?]the common use of a DAC
Feb 28, 2007 at 6:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

i-Cab

New Head-Fier
umm, do usually Head-Fiers use DAC out of computer or do they use DAC on cd players as well? If on cd players, could someone please give me an example of a moderate-end Cd player that a typical Head-Fier might use?

If DACs are mainly used on computers, is there anything wrong with USB? something with the speed of the connection or electrical noise or anything like that sort?

Thank you.

Feb 28, 2007 at 12:12 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by i-Cab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
umm, do usually Head-Fiers use DAC out of computer or do they use DAC on cd players as well?

Depends who and where you ask.

Quote:

If on cd players, could someone please give me an example of a moderate-end Cd player that a typical Head-Fier might use?

I don't use a dedicated CD player with my phones, unless my DVDrom drive counts. Previously I have used Rotel and Marantz CD players in my Hi-Fi systems.

Quote:

If DACs are mainly used on computers, is there anything wrong with USB? something with the speed of the connection or electrical noise or anything like that sort?

Thank you.

Nothing is wrong with using USB, even better you can avoid the use of SPDIF receivers and reduce things like jitter. USB DACs can chew a few more CPU cycles but you are unlikely to notice this on modern PCs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back