What do you think about this setup?
May 4, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #16 of 18
i've heard the old sabre (the 9008) and the benchmark dac1 (modded version)...the sabre does wipe the floor with the benchmark...the sabre's competing on a whole 'nother level...

i don't think it unreasonable to assume that the 9018 is at least as good as the 9008, but ymmv i guess...

also, seeing as the cambridge has digital inputs, i'm not sure where you're going with this
smily_headphones1.gif
...perhaps i'm missing something...but, if you want to sell it in anticipation of the sabre32, please shoot me a pm....

i don't have any kind words for the benchmark's headphone out...

May 6, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #17 of 18
Thank you for all your replies!

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I strongly recommend the the Buffalo sabre32 DIY DAC, it will wipe the floor against both. It is “maybe” the best DAC in existence full stop.
I confess also I haven’t heard the Buffalo sabre32 DIY DAC, but from all accounts and listening impressions that I’ve read - it’s a killer. I will order mine when available again, usually the kits sellout within minutes of becoming available. This is there website:
Twisted Pear Audio
and the forum:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/twi...re-dac-317919/

I don’t understand why you need the ESI Juli@, bits is bits, digital output from you pc/mac straight to your DAC should be perfect.

This is an interesting advice... I never heard about this Buffalo DAC, and I'll surely give it a look...

Regarding the ESI Juli@, I would need it because it offers good options for audio production (ASIO 2, GSIF, etc.):

ESI - Juli@

Where could I find some comparison between this Buffalo32s DAC and the other available commercial DACs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The word on the street is that Cambridge Audio will soon announce a new big brother to the DacMagic (DacMagic is based on the digital section of the 740 CD player) that will be based on the digital section of the 840. That might be the ticket.

Another interesting news... is there a reliable source confirming your statement?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd also build a balanced cable for the Sennheisers.

Where could I find a guide explaining how to build a balanced cable for Sennheiser headphones?

May 7, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pidgeon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where could I find some comparison between this Buffalo32s DAC and the other available commercial DACs?

If you want to wait a couple of weeks I have a Buffalo32s on the way that I plan on comparing extensively with my Benchmark. My honest guess is that the differences will be minimal at best, given the head-fi penchant for over exaggerating and/or writing objective statements based on placebo induced impressions. I once watched a whole meet worth of people go on and on about how horrible the headphone out of the benchmark was then, one after the other, proceed to fail simple blind tests between it and an unnamed* uber headamp, until people stopped participating in the test grumbling of "meet conditions" and other rationale.

Don't get me wrong, if the Buffalo proceeds to destroy/wipe the floor/bury the benchmark, I will be as happy as a clam. I am not above chasing the dragon myself. Still, I would take most people's impressions with grain of salt and find a solution that gives you the features that you need.(i.e. usb, sacd capabilities, pre-amp, form-factor, look, whatever) Most of the $1k+ gear that we argue about all is pretty dang good, otherwise people wouldn't even bother mentioning it on this site.

* => I don't want to reveal the amp as one of the usual defense mechanisms is to then just dismiss it as well. I can just say that we picked one of the best amps at the meet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back